Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com> on 2015/10/14 21:05:28 UTC

UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Hello Dev Team,
I am contacting you to know if you would be interested in integrating our
JSON Plugin within Core JMeter.

Its features are shown on our blog, I didn't put any link because none of
my 2 previous mails were received on dev mailing list.

Currently plugin uses com.ubikingenierie.loadpack package, but it would be
donated with a package you would choose:

- org.apache.jmeter.json for example

If you are OK and wish to integrate it, we would submit a PR on Github so
that you can review it and potentially provide some patches before
integration in JMeter.
Your feedback is welcome.

We think this feature would be very useful for Web Application testing
where JSON format is becoming a very frequently used format for Rest
Webservices for example.

Thanks
Regards
Ubik Load Pack Team
@ubikloadpack

Re: UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

On 15/10/2015 06:18, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hello Rainer, Milamber,
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Regards
>

> On Thursday, October 15, 2015, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your proposal.
>>
>> Seems a good thing to add this plugin on JMeter but we need to known the
>> new functionality(ies) of this plugin? that is an new listener or sampler?
> There is mainly:
> - A post processor similar to regexp extractor
> - a renderer to test json path expressions as with regexp, css/jquery or
> xpath
>

>> Can you confirm that this plugin don't have some dependencies against the
>> Apache License v2 (like GPL) for the distribution?
>>
>> I do
>
>> I thinks that Ubik Load Pack have already sign the CCLA and can contribute
>> to Apache projects?
> yes
>
>> I thinks that after your PR (or other way of submission), a vote (in
>> Apache way) must be done to accept or not this plugin.
>> (example:
>> http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCAEJ3w4W=_4UE+vidf3UYTT_zYwci4H-dfk9S+mYP6KwgeWXjLQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
>> )
>>
>> ok but as I said, for now the plugin uses non apache jmeter package naming.
> Shall I do a PR as is and then we would rename packages .
> I would like to be sure the plugin will be taken under Jmeter before doing
> the renaming, otherwise it would stay as is.

This current thread is for me the "Discuss" thread to determine if we
(PMC) can open a vote thread. Rainer and me are already favorable to
inclusion (I suppose that you (as Philippe/PMC) is favorable too).

The renaming of the packages isn't a requirement for donation. Your can
share the plugin as-is (github / patch-diff / etc) and open a vote
thread (as Philippe-PMC) after the end of the discuss for donation.
The renaming can be done after the vote results (AFAIK)

Some examples of donation on Apache CloudStack:

[Contrail]
Discuss: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/o6oxusclhak5mwk3
Vote thread: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/lw7rssyqwpne6z5t
Vote result: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/lw7rssyqwpne6z5t

[RDP]
Discuss :
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201310.mbox/%3C9ADDE3F979256644BED8F0D244BE51F009057E@AMSPEX01CL02.citrite.net%3E
Vote: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/lymvxk3dia5n6yo4
Result: http://markmail.org/message/lcnktohox62wqcrg (With IP Clearance
as next step)

[gstack]
Discuss: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/g6iuceghdd37qpr7
Vote: http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/4nlcapcnhffefoo4
Result: http://markmail.org/message/bnudahjnekhrzjri

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello Rainer, Milamber,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 October 2015 at 23:07, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your proposal.
> >
> > Seems a good thing to add this plugin on JMeter but we need to known the
> new
> > functionality(ies) of this plugin? that is an new listener or sampler?
> >
> > Can you confirm that this plugin don't have some dependencies against the
> > Apache License v2 (like GPL) for the distribution?
> >
> > I thinks that Ubik Load Pack have already sign the CCLA and can
> contribute
> > to Apache projects?
> >
> > I thinks that after your PR (or other way of submission), a vote (in
> Apache
> > way) must be done to accept or not this plugin.
> > (example:
> >
> http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCAEJ3w4W=_4UE+vidf3UYTT_zYwci4H-dfk9S+mYP6KwgeWXjLQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
> > )
> >
> > @Sebb can you confirm the good way to the donation, thanks.
> >

> There are several aspects to incorporating a sizeable chunk of code:
> - is it in scope for the project?
> We think it is absolutely in it. At the time we created it because core
> JMeter was lacking it and we faced a lot of applications that used JSON
> where Regexp didn't do the job.

You can see on our page  Our Customers (bottom) that customers found it
very useful.

> - is there sufficient community within the project to maintain the
>> code going forward?
>>
> We would help as we already did, and anyway it's not a big piece of code
(5 classes)

> - does it have documentation and tests?

It would have documentation and tests as JMX as you  do in the project.

> - is it well-written enough to be maintainable?

We think it is :-) , but it's up to the Apache JMeter Team to decide

> - does it affect backwards compatibility?

No

> - does it need IP clearance?

What is IP clearance ? is it Intellectual Property, in this case , as with
our other contributions we have signed a CCLA and would give all IP.

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:21 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 October 2015 at 23:07, Milamber <mi...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your proposal.
> >
> > Seems a good thing to add this plugin on JMeter but we need to known the
> new
> > functionality(ies) of this plugin? that is an new listener or sampler?
> >
> > Can you confirm that this plugin don't have some dependencies against the
> > Apache License v2 (like GPL) for the distribution?
> >
> > I thinks that Ubik Load Pack have already sign the CCLA and can
> contribute
> > to Apache projects?
> >
> > I thinks that after your PR (or other way of submission), a vote (in
> Apache
> > way) must be done to accept or not this plugin.
> > (example:
> >
> http://mail-archives.us.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCAEJ3w4W=_4UE+vidf3UYTT_zYwci4H-dfk9S+mYP6KwgeWXjLQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
> > )
> >
> > @Sebb can you confirm the good way to the donation, thanks.
> >

> There are several aspects to incorporating a sizeable chunk of code:
> - is it in scope for the project?

We think it is absolutely in it. At the time we created it because core
JMeter was lacking it and we faced a lot of applications that used JSON
where Regexp didn't do the job.
You can see on our page (ubikloadpack.com/our-customers.php) that customers

--

Regards
Ubik Load Pack <http://ubikloadpack.com> Team

Cordialement
L'équipe Ubik Load Pack <http://ubikloadpack.com>
Suivez-nous sur Twitter <http://twitter.com/ubikloadpack>

Re: UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
Thanks for your proposal.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 14.10.2015 um 21:05 schrieb UBIK LOAD PACK Support:
> Hello Dev Team,
> I am contacting you to know if you would be interested in integrating our
> JSON Plugin within Core JMeter.
>
> Its features are shown on our blog, I didn't put any link because none of
> my 2 previous mails were received on dev mailing list.
>

> Currently plugin uses com.ubikingenierie.loadpack package, but it would be
> donated with a package you would choose:
>
> - org.apache.jmeter.json for example
>

> If you are OK and wish to integrate it, we would submit a PR on Github so
> that you can review it and potentially provide some patches before
> integration in JMeter.
> Your feedback is welcome.
>

> We think this feature would be very useful for Web Application testing
> where JSON format is becoming a very frequently used format for Rest
> Webservices for example.

I would find it useful too. Agreed, that JSON for REST is a common
pattern nowadays and handling JSON data as text via Regexp etc. is not
adequate.

Hoping the link goes through, this is the original blog post about the
plugin:

http://www.ubik-ingenierie.com/blog/easy-scripting-of-json-applications-with-apache-jmeter/

Regards,

Rainer

Re: UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

On 17/10/2015 12:46, Felix Schumacher wrote:
> Am 17.10.2015 um 09:25 schrieb UBIK LOAD PACK Support:
>> Hello,
>> I thought initial idea was to submit the code AS-IS and wait for the
>> vote,
>> so I didn't tidy everything up.
>>
>> Anyway, now it's the case:
>> - Fixed JUnits (Although I touched the Junit Test case, it was only
>> to fix
>> a typo in method name, not change the test)
>> * Added Maven dependencies
>> * Modified eclipse.classpath
>> * updated saveservices.properties and SaveService.java
>> * Added documentation section as per JMeter convention and screenshot
> Well, you might have noticed, that I spammed the list with comments on
> your pr.

Yes it's a good spam. :-) Big peer review, thanks.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thanks a lot Felix for your review.
Fixed nearly all feedback.

Regards
Philippe

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Felix Schumacher <

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: UBIKLOADPACK JSON PLUGIN DONATION TO APACHE JMETER

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.
The code of plugin seems good except the fixes to do below.
I will open the thread vote.

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by UBIK LOAD PACK Support <su...@ubikloadpack.com>.
Hi Felix, All,

We submitted:

   - https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/28

Shall we create a Bugzilla ?

Regards
UbikLoadPack Team
@ubikloadpack

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Felix Schumacher <

> Am 14.10.2015 um 21:05 schrieb UBIK LOAD PACK Support:
>
>> Hello Dev Team,
>> I am contacting you to know if you would be interested in integrating our
>> JSON Plugin within Core JMeter.
>>
> I think json support directly in jmeter is needed.
>

>> Its features are shown on our blog, I didn't put any link because none of
>> my 2 previous mails were received on dev mailing list.
>>
> I looked at the blog post for which Rainer sent the link.
>
> The features look good. What "language" is the extraction part?

It's based on json-path : http://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/

> Is there any standard like xpath/xquery for xml?

Kind of

>> Currently plugin uses com.ubikingenierie.loadpack package, but it would be
>> donated with a package you would choose:
>>
>> - org.apache.jmeter.json for example
>>
> Renaming a package is really simple with modern IDEs, so that would be a
> no-brainer.

Done within PR.

>> If you are OK and wish to integrate it, we would submit a PR on Github so
>> that you can review it and potentially provide some patches before
>> integration in JMeter.
>>
> Probably a good idea.

Done

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 14.10.2015 um 21:05 schrieb UBIK LOAD PACK Support:
> Hello Dev Team,
> I am contacting you to know if you would be interested in integrating our
> JSON Plugin within Core JMeter.
I think json support directly in jmeter is needed.

> Its features are shown on our blog, I didn't put any link because none of
> my 2 previous mails were received on dev mailing list.
I looked at the blog post for which Rainer sent the link.

The features look good. What "language" is the extraction part? Is there
any standard like xpath/xquery for xml?

> Currently plugin uses com.ubikingenierie.loadpack package, but it would be
> donated with a package you would choose:
>
> - org.apache.jmeter.json for example
Renaming a package is really simple with modern IDEs, so that would be a
no-brainer.

> If you are OK and wish to integrate it, we would submit a PR on Github so
> that you can review it and potentially provide some patches before
> integration in JMeter.
Probably a good idea.

Regards,
  Felix