Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Whittaker <si...@swbh.net> on 2006/03/01 08:33:47 UTC

Issue on a mounted volume on osx

Hi There,

I hope this is the right mailing list but I wonder if anyone can help me
with an issue I am having. I have a volume mounted on OSX 10.4.5 to a
shared windows folder which is a working copy, I am working on the data
and try to commit it back and receive the following error:

commit -m "made a brief change" /Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/pagename.cfm
    Sending       /Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/pagename.cfm
    Transmitting file data ...
    A problem occurred; see later errors for details
svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
Problem running log
svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
svn: In directory '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder'
svn: Error processing command 'committed' in '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder'
svn: Error replacing text-base of 'pagename.cfm'
Permission denied
svn: Can't move
'/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/.svn/tmp/text-base/pagename.cfm.svn-base'
to '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/.svn/text-base/pagename.cfm.svn-base':
Permission denied

I get this error using subclipse and scplugin, the volume is mounted
using my username and works fine using a windows box.

Anyone ever come across this before?

cheers

Simon

Re: Issue on a mounted volume on osx

Posted by Simon Whittaker <si...@swbh.net>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2006, at 09:33, Simon Whittaker wrote:
>
>> I hope this is the right mailing list but I wonder if anyone can help
>> me with an issue I am having. I have a volume mounted on OSX 10.4.5
>> to a shared windows folder which is a working copy, I am working on
>> the data and try to commit it back and receive the following error:
>>
>> commit -m "made a brief change"
>> /Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/pagename.cfm
>>    Sending       /Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/pagename.cfm
>>    Transmitting file data ...
>>    A problem occurred; see later errors for details
>> svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
>> Problem running log
>> svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
>> svn: In directory '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder'
>> svn: Error processing command 'committed' in
>> '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder'
>> svn: Error replacing text-base of 'pagename.cfm'
>> Permission denied
>> svn: Can't move
>> '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/.svn/tmp/text-base/pagename.cfm.svn-base'
>> '/Volumes/sites/path/to/folder/.svn/text-base/pagename.cfm.svn-base':
>> Permission denied
>>
>> I get this error using subclipse and scplugin, the volume is mounted
>> using my username and works fine using a windows box.
>>
>> Anyone ever come across this before?
>
> I don't see exactly that error, but I am also unable to manipulate a
> working copy from my Mac terminal which lives on a mounted Samba share
> served by our Linux server. For example, when I try to "svn up" or
> "svn add <bar>" I get "svn: Can't move '.svn/tmp/entries' to
> '.svn/entries': Permission denied." If I ssh to the Linux server and
> add the file there, then come back to the Mac terminal and try to
> commit the change, I get:
>
> Adding         <bar>
> Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Can't copy '/Volumes/foo/bar' to
> '/Volumes/foo/.svn/tmp/text-base/bar.svn-base.tmp': Input/output error
>

> All files and directories on my mounted volume have 700 permission,
> which seems weird and I'm guessing that has something to do with it.
>
> I didn't bother trying to find a solution, and instead use Subversion
> from the Linux command line. That probably isn't a solution for you if
> your shared volume actually lives on a Windows machine though.

Glad to hear I'm not alone anyway!! Unfortunately that isn't an option
for me as you say, it's annoying though. I am lucky enough to have admin
rights on the machine so can just login and commit from there but would
love to be able to fix it so that other mac users can do the same.

Appreciate any help anyone has.

Cheers

Re: Issue on a mounted volume on osx

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Mike Conley <no...@crystalmaker.com>.
On 01.03.2006, at 08.33 (UTC-0000), Simon Whittaker scribbled thusly:

>... I have a volume mounted on OSX 10.4.5 to a shared windows folder
>which is a working copy, I am working on the data and try to commit it
>back and receive the following error:

>Anyone ever come across this before?

I don't get exactly the same error, but I did report a similar problem back in December, to which I never received any response. Since there now appear to be two people on the planet who use a similar configuration, I'll repost my original report in the hopes that (a) it might be useful to you and (b) somebody might have an idea as to what's going on.

-Mike

=========================

Subject: Another SVN Permissions Problem

I know this has been beaten to death, but, really, I have read the archives, and I have tried any number of things, and yet....

I have a repository sitting on a Mac OS X Server box. My working copy sits on a Windows box. I have the volumes mounted via Samba on my Mac running OS X 10.4.

Until this morning, I had no problems doing anything I wanted to on this setup. I could check code out to my Windows box using my Mac (via the OS X svn client directly from the command line or using BBEdit's SVN support). I could edit it, add new files, delete files, commit, whatever.

Now, all of a sudden, I find I can no longer do this. I constantly get errors indicating that I no longer have permissions to move things around. In response to an svn cleanup command, for example, I get

subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c:2365: (apr_err=13)
svn: Can't move '.svn/tmp/entries' to '.svn/entries': Permission denied

If I run the same command using TortoiseSVN directly on my Windows box, it appears to work fine.

If I delete the working copy and try to check out a new one from my Mac onto the Windows box, I usually get an I/O error from svn.

I can check out to my Mac just fine.

I've tried mounting the Windows volume using mount_smbfs directly, and setting the file and directory permissions to 0775 and 0777, respectively, with my user and group IDs, and I get the same problem.

This is highly frustrating, as I had a wonderfully smooth workflow going just yesterday. The only thing I've done since then was to do a whole slew of property changes to the files (clearing out extraneous svn:executable flags, setting svn:eol-style, etc.) in preparation for starting a new project in the repository. Somehow, it appears that that has completely screwed things up. Or is that the problem?

svnadmin verify seems to indicate that everything's fine.

Anyone have any ideas?