Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/09/14 16:11:11 UTC

[transit] news from the dark side

Have just completed updated to the 'transit' controller plugin then
introduce full logging support. This is kind of significant as it maps
directly with the original objects of a completely customizable
repository solution.

In the process and getting this far I've forked framework configuration
content into respective api and impl packages under the metro namespace,
pushed the avalon.framework.logging.Logger down into metro-logging-api,
combined the avalon-util-configuration with the metro-configuration-impl
sub-project, merged avalon-logkit into metro-logging-logkit-impl and
ported across an updated version of the avalon-logging-log4j package to
metro-logging-log4j.

Merlin now longer needs to be concerned with logging system
establishment (because it's now handled by the repository controller
plugin).  Evolution of the controller can proceed much more aggressively
(think jmx, etc.) because we have a good kernel model above Merlin which
will enable the replacement of the Merlin sub-system without shutdown of
the controller (once management controls are added to the plugin impl).
Other benefits arising from this include simplification of the
composition SystemContext model (at least 50% of the functionality can
be handled by the controller), and assuming I get this right -
significant simplification of the merlin api and impl classes.

For the technophiles .. here is the current breakdown:

  metro/
   runtime/
     configuration/
       api/
       impl/
     logging/
       api
       criteria/
       spi/
       providers/
         logkit/
         log4j/
     transit/
       main/
       plugin/
       spi/
       test/

Any suggestions on how to get this content committed are appreciated.
Have attempted to create a local branch but that failed (something to do
with avalon carma).  I also tried a few other mechanisms without
success.  So far I have not been able to generate a patch for the now
content - any useful suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.