Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Jim R. Wilson" <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/13 17:13:27 UTC

[hbase-user] Secure, authenticated remote hbase api access

Hi all,

For our project we're using Hbase's Thrift service for communication
between hbase and our web application (PHP) and maintenance scripts
(Python).  I've got an hbase cluster setup in EC2, but I'm drawing a
blank on how to do the communication in a secure, authenticated way.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is there already a plugin or service I
can just lay on top of my existing hbase setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)

Re: [hbase-user] Secure, authenticated remote hbase api access

Posted by "Jim R. Wilson" <wi...@gmail.com>.
> The simplest thing I can think of would be to use firewall rules to
> allow traffic only from your other systems - that is, wherever your PHP and
> Python scripts might be running.

Yeah, that's what I suspected.  It's probably easiest to just setup
some IP-restricted firewall rules and call it a day.  I'm not sure yet
whether that's sufficient compared to ssh proxy tunneling, but it's
certainly simpler.

I'll probably just do the IP restriction for now.  The primary problem
I have with ssh tunneling is error handling - detecting when a session
has died and restarting it, keeping sessions open, that sort of thing.

-- Jim

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.