Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Rhoden Manahan <rh...@icloud.com.INVALID> on 2023/08/10 17:47:53 UTC

Re: Exploring SolrCloud Zookeeper - ACL (Not for SOLR Document Level Security)

Hello,After further research on available documentations in SolrCloud and ZooKeeper regarding ACLs support, it seems like the access control list as a feature in ZooKeeper is only targeted on the "znode" level and not directly to SOLR documents.SOLR can enforce some document security through user "roles" and "permissions" but I am only seeing the possibility in the "index/collection" level and cannot drill down further to the document and/or field level access security.Regards,RhodenOn Aug 9, 2023, at 9:46 AM, Rhoden Manahan <rh...@icloud.com> wrote:Hi,Is there any available documentation for step-by-step on how to setup ACLs in SolrCloud through Zookeeper?I did not see any documentation on the actual setting of ACLs but just some required configurations. I also did not see any videos snippets to see it in action.Appreciate any information to help in my exploration.Regards,Rhoden

Re: Exploring SolrCloud Zookeeper - ACL (Not for SOLR Document Level Security)

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Correct, from the perspective of what Solr provides.   Google “late binding” and “early binding” for some approaches to establishing security controls inside an index, however the specific mechanics of that are up to the implementer!

Also, if, as you go through the docs, you find some potential areas of improvement, please share them!

> On Aug 10, 2023, at 1:47 PM, Rhoden Manahan <rh...@icloud.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> After further research on available documentations in SolrCloud and ZooKeeper regarding ACLs support, it seems like the access control list as a feature in ZooKeeper is only targeted on the "znode" level and not directly to SOLR documents.
>
> SOLR can enforce some document security through user "roles" and "permissions" but I am only seeing the possibility in the "index/collection" level and cannot drill down further to the document and/or field level access security.
>
> Regards,
> Rhoden
>
>> On Aug 9, 2023, at 9:46 AM, Rhoden Manahan <rh...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any available documentation for step-by-step on how to setup ACLs in SolrCloud through Zookeeper?
>>
>> I did not see any documentation on the actual setting of ACLs but just some required configurations. I also did not see any videos snippets to see it in action.
>>
>> Appreciate any information to help in my exploration.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rhoden

Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.