Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by lpinnamareddy <lp...@alloy.com> on 2008/02/08 16:12:25 UTC

Roller and LDAP setup

Hello all,
I've read all posts in this forum about LDAP.
Most of my doubts are clarified.
I've 2 more to clarify.
1. If I set up Roller with LDAP, users are still required to register when
accessing at first time.
   Can we avoid this?
2. I've set up LDAP , there are no errors. but still I'm not sure it is
pulling data from LDAP. How do I make sure this? In the registration page,
When I give the username, if the user exists in LDAP, it should auto fill
all other fields. right? Its's not happening for me :(
3. After the registration, Roller stores the user data in Roller tables for
its further use. but it stores password as it is I mean no hashing or
encryption is being done. How do we avoid this??

Thanks in advance
Lavanya.

Re: Roller and LDAP setup

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 8, 2008 10:12 AM, lpinnamareddy <lp...@alloy.com> wrote:
> I've read all posts in this forum about LDAP.
> Most of my doubts are clarified.
> I've 2 more to clarify.
> 1. If I set up Roller with LDAP, users are still required to register when
> accessing at first time.

If you have LDAP/SSO enabled, then new users still have to register
but we pre-populate as much of the registration form as possible from
LDAP attributes.

> Can we avoid this?

I'm not sure. With some code changes, you might  be able make the
registration happen automatically without any interaction.

> 2. I've set up LDAP , there are no errors. but still I'm not sure it is
> pulling data from LDAP. How do I make sure this? In the registration page,
> When I give the username, if the user exists in LDAP, it should auto fill
> all other fields. right? Its's not happening for me :(

Sounds like you'd got some sort of configuration problem.

> 3. After the registration, Roller stores the user data in Roller tables for
> its further use. but it stores password as it is I mean no hashing or
> encryption is being done. How do we avoid this??

With LDAP/SSO enabled, Roller should not be storing the password at all.

What steps did you follow to setup LDAP?

- Dave