Posted to user@uima.apache.org by William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/29 19:24:33 UTC

something seems strange in the build process

Well, at least it does to me :) and I am not sure what to make of it.

There are two "unusual" situations I encounter. First, testing issues
SEVERE messages, with Java exceptions, yet the test summary appears
fine. The second problem is eventually one test seems to go to sleep and
never wakes up - ergo I cannot complete the build.

I am running Windows XpPro with Java 1.6 and a recent svn update of the
project (revision 523768).

The rest of this message is a sample of the gory details:

tests are running fine, some warnings, then this set of messages:

Running org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.AnalysisEngine_implTest
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:03 PM
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.TaeDescription_impl
checkForInvalidParameterOverrides
WARNING: The aggregate text analysis engine "Aggregate TAE with
Configuration Parameter Overrides" has declared the parameter
StringArrayParam, but has not declared any overrides.This usage is
deprecated.
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:03 PM
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.TaeDescription_impl
checkForInvalidParameterOverrides
WARNING: The aggregate text analysis engine "Aggregate TAE with
Configuration Parameter Overrides" has declared the parameter
StringArrayParam, but has not declared any overrides.This usage is
deprecated.
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:04 PM
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.TaeDescription_impl
checkForInvalidParameterOverrides
WARNING: The aggregate text analysis engine "Test Aggregate TAE" has
declared the parameter StringParam, but has not declared any
overrides.This usage is deprecated.
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:04 PM
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.TaeDescription_impl
checkForInvalidParameterOverrides
WARNING: The aggregate text analysis engine "Test Aggregate TAE" has
declared the parameter IntParam, but has not declared any overrides.This
usage is deprecated.
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:06 PM
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl
callAnalysisComponentProcess(397)
SEVERE: Exception occurred
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.AnalysisEngineProcessException:
Annotator processing failed.
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.callAnalysisComponentProcess(PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.java:384)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.processAndOutputNewCASes(PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.java:292)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.asb.impl.ASB_impl$AggregateCasIterator.processUntilNextOutputCas(ASB_impl.java:547)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.asb.impl.ASB_impl$AggregateCasIterator.hasNext(ASB_impl.java:411)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.AnalysisEngine_implTest.testProcessAndOutputNewCASesWithError(AnalysisEngine_implTest.java:1026)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor180.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.junit.JUnitTestSet.execute(JUnitTestSet.java:210)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.suite.AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.executeTestSet(AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.java:135)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.suite.AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.execute(AbstractDirectoryTestSuite.java:122)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.Surefire.run(Surefire.java:129)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.runSuitesInProcess(SurefireBooter.java:225)
    at
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooter.main(SurefireBooter.java:747)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Test Error
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.ErrorAnnotator.process(ErrorAnnotator.java:38)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.compatibility.AnnotatorAdapter.process(AnnotatorAdapter.java:142)
    at
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.callAnalysisComponentProcess(PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.java:373)
    ... 29 more

This is followed by the next 11 tests, which all fail with a SEVERE msg,
and then
Tests run: 13, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 5.531 sec

And then testing resumes (for a while):
Running org.apache.uima.cas.test.IntArrayFSTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.015 sec

Testing continues till:
Running org.apache.uima.impl.UimaContext_implTest
Mar 29, 2007 12:37:18 PM org.apache.uima.impl.RootUimaContext_impl
getResourceURL
WARNING: The unmanaged resource
org/apache/uima/analysis_engine/impl/testDataFile3.dat was accessed.This
feature is deprecated, and support may be removed in future versions.
(I've clipped off a number of similar warnings)
Tests run: 16, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 1.625 sec
Running
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest

And that is where things appear to go to sleep - my machine is
responsive, nothing is exercising the cpu, but also nothing appears to
happen for at least 30 minutes, and then I kill the command processor.

Bill

Re: migration utility

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.

>> I downloaded the binaries as well as the source, but I didn't follow through
>> with the binary distribution. But I built everything from the source, as
>> described in the link you mention.
>> <snip/>
>
> The migration tool was designed to be run from the binaries (perhaps
> we should have made it easier to run from the source dist too, sorry
> about that).
>
> It should of course be possible to build the binaries from the source.
>  When you followed the instructions, did you also include the "How to
> build the full Apache UIMA Distribution" part?  The steps are as
> follows:

Nope, I didn't do that. I thought that step was only optional for building
the docbooks and such.

In the meantime, I downloaded the binaries and used the migration tool
successfully.

I will try building from source another time.

Thanks,
Frank

Re: migration utility

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 3/30/07, Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the binaries as well as the source, but I didn't follow through
> with the binary distribution. But I built everything from the source, as
> described in the link you mention.
> <snip/>

The migration tool was designed to be run from the binaries (perhaps
we should have made it easier to run from the source dist too, sorry
about that).

It should of course be possible to build the binaries from the source.
 When you followed the instructions, did you also include the "How to
build the full Apache UIMA Distribution" part?  The steps are as
follows:

First do a build as described in "Building from the command line".
Then execute the following:

$>cd ../uimaj-distr
$>mvn assembly:assembly

This will build the javadocs and the manual (using docbooks, as
described below), and will create .zip, .tar.gz, and .tar.bz2 archives
of the full UIMA distribution in the uimaj-distr/target directory.

This should create you a zip file that's equivalent to the binary
distribution.

In this zip file is the elusive lib directory. :)

-Adam

Re: Problems with building from subversion

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Frank Schilder wrote:
> I double-checked whether I actually downloaded the binaries and it seems
> like that I didn't. After downloading them, I now see the jar files (and
> also the eclipse plugins which were also missing from my installation).
>
> I did, however, follow all the steps for building with subversion in
> eclipse. It  seems to me that that way of building UIMA is missing some
> steps (e.g. Generating jar files and the eclipse plugin).

If you look on the "Building with Maven" page in the section "How to
build the full Apache UIMA distribution", you'll see how to create the
distribution and where the files end up.

HTH,
Thilo

Problems with building from subversion

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.
I double-checked whether I actually downloaded the binaries and it seems
like that I didn't. After downloading them, I now see the jar files (and
also the eclipse plugins which were also missing from my installation).

I did, however, follow all the steps for building with subversion in
eclipse. It  seems to me that that way of building UIMA is missing some
steps (e.g. Generating jar files and the eclipse plugin).

I'll try the binaries now...
Frank

BTW: Because I still have the UIMA 2.0.2 eclipse plugins, changing the
descriptor files for the openNLP wrappers resulted into 2.0.2 files with the
old header <analysisEngineDescription
xmlns="http://uima.watson.ibm.com/resourceSpecifier">

Does that mean it's not possible to have UIMA 2.0.2 and Apache UIMA in one
Eclipse installation?

(http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/2.1.0-incubating/uimaj-2.1.0-in>>

Re: migration utility

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.

Re: migration utility

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
Did you download the UIMA binary distribution?
(http://people.apache.org/dist/incubator/uima/2.1.0-incubating/uimaj-2.1.0-incubating-bin.zip)?

It sounds like you may be using the source distribution (or an svn
extract) in which case you would have to build it first.
(http://incubator.apache.org/uima/svn.html#building.with.maven).

And you need to set the UIMA_HOME to the top-level ("apache-uima")
directory of the 2.1 distribution, not 2.0.2.

-Adam

On 3/29/07, Frank.Schilder@thomson.com <Fr...@thomson.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> You're right about the missing lib dir. I removed those while testing.
>
> But I'm a little bit confused about the jars, because I can't find them on my computer at all (I did a spotlight search with no results).
>
> I'm also not sure whether I have the correct path information for UIMA_HOME. UIMA_HOME is currently set to the UIMA 2.0.2 directory. That seems to be wrong. Could you tell me which path it should be set to? /uimaj, perhaps? But I can't see a lib dir anywhere..
> Thasnk,
> Frank

RE: migration utility

Posted by Fr...@thomson.com.

Re: migration utility

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

migration utility

Posted by Frank Schilder <fr...@thomson.com>.

Posted by William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

While tracing through a debug session (I had to turn a number of
breakpoints on to catch this - may be coincidental) I obtained the
following eclipse debug stack:

MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest [JUnit]
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner at
localhost:1633
        Thread [main] (Stepping)
        Thread [ReaderThread] (Running)
        Thread [Thread-1] (Suspended (breakpoint at line 353 in
MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread))
            MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread.run()
line: 353
        Thread [Thread-3] (Suspended (breakpoint at line 353 in
MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread))
            MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread.run()
line: 353
        Thread [Thread-4] (Suspended (breakpoint at line 353 in
MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread))
            MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest$ProcessThread.run()
line: 353
    E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\javaw.exe (Mar 29, 2007 4:08:55
PM)

and while eclipse was alive, the application was "hung."

Hope this is of some help.

Bill

Posted by William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

First - duh (

Adam Lally wrote:
> This is actually expected.  Some of our unit tests are testing error
> conditions which cause the framework to log SEVERE messages.
) - the person who invents an automated, programmers' dope slap will
make a fortune
http://www.cartalk.com/content/read-on/2003/08.30-1.html

Second, using the -Dmaven.test.skip=true allows the build to complete.

Third, I have been "looking" more closely at class
MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_implTest. I've run this test a number of
ways, all within Eclipse, and have seen different results. Here is a
summary:

1) running just this test as a junit test - it completes
2) running it under a code coverage tool - it completes
3) running it through the debugger - with multiple breakpoints - I
encountered a "hang up" on the third time through the loop for the code
(starting on line number 201) - sorry, I do not remember if it was the
creation or the start:
      for (int i = 0; i < NUM_THREADS; i++) {
        threads[i] = new ProcessThread(ae);
        threads[i].start();
      }
4) running it under the same code coverage tool - it hangs up.

I have not been able to reliably replicate the problem - I understand it
is a symptom of a race condition. I will continue trying to catch it
under the debugger and closer to "where" it is happening.

Bill

Re: something seems strange in the build process

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 4/4/07, William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe the JIRA issue system is becoming increasingly important to
> developers. Given the nature of this problem I feel it would be
> presumptuous of me to categorize it properly - it might be best if you
> do so.

OK, I have opened an issue.

-Adam

Re: something seems strange in the build process

Posted by William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

Thank you for the update. I am pleased the information I forwarded was
helpful even if I was barking up the wrong tree :)

I believe the JIRA issue system is becoming increasingly important to
developers. Given the nature of this problem I feel it would be
presumptuous of me to categorize it properly - it might be best if you
do so.

I would like to note some tools I discovered while following up on
Marshall's suggestions (an earlier email.) I am using Java6, in a
Windows XpPro environment, and it comes with two useful tools. Quoting
one of the links I found "Those tools are jps (a ps for Java processes)
and jstack (a tool to dump the threads of a specified Java process)".
With these tools I was able to "discover" and then "see" from the
command line into an Eclipse Debug session. They may be of use to others.

Thank you again Adam,

Bill

Adam Lally wrote:
> <snip/>
> Bill,
>
> I think I see where the problem is, thanks to your stack trace:

<snip/>

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 4/4/07, William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marshall.
>
> Thank you, as I am using it I will pursue the Java 6 link.
>
> I fear I may not be seeing a deadlock but rather the absence (because it
> has already happened) of a notification to proceed - and not because a
> process has died, but rather it has completed and sent the notifyAll()
> message but the intended receivers were not at the wait() stage. In
> short, the receivers will now be waiting for a message that will not arrive.
>
> I admit to not knowing enough about Java concurrency to say this with
> any conviction that it is even plausible let alone likely. But I am
> reading several books and the source code and trying to arrive at a
> hypothesis.

Bill,

I think I see where the problem is, thanks to your stack trace:

----------
   Object.wait(long) line: not available [native method]
   ResourcePool.getResource(long) line: 166
   AnalysisEnginePool.setResultSpecification(ResultSpecification) line:
155

MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_impl.setResultSpecification(ResultSpecification)
line: 122

MultiprocessingAnalysisEngine_impl(AnalysisEngineImplBase).process(CAS,
ResultSpecification) line: 200
---------

Posted by William Surowiec <ws...@gmail.com>.
Marshall.