Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2015/11/21 09:49:29 UTC

Improve search on freemarker.org

In practice I have found some problems with search on freemarker.org:

- I can't search in the API java docs.

- When I search in the Manual, I often also want hits from the API
  JavaDocs, though getting them wouldn't be logical because of the
  structure of the site.

- There's no search box on the Home tab. People my not realize that
  there's on on the Manual tab.

  So I think we need a global search box, which by default searches in
  the Manual and in the JavaDocs too. It would be a plus if it has
  "API" and "Manual" check boxes. So that would address all the point
  above.

  Where to put the global search box (layout...) is a trickier
  question. Certainly the Contribut-Report-Download thing had to go
  away to give space to it, but instead perhaps we could make them
  more apparent in the side menu (with some icons or whatever). And
  then on the Manual there will be a void in place of search... I
  don't know. Can you figure out something awesome? :)

- The search box is no re-filled after search, so I can't refine my
  search.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Improve search on freemarker.org

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Thanks, it seems to work now!

We have this issue that the left-side menu is indexed. I'm not sure if
that can be solved though. I hope Google at least gives it a very low
weight.

 Daniel Dekany

---

Re: Improve search on freemarker.org

Posted by Lee <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
BTW, the Google Custom Search still behaves rather strangely. Like if
I repeat the original experiment, searching for "Using FreeMarker with
servlets" with quotation marks, now it only gives one hit,
http://freemarker.incubator.apache.org/docs/xgui_declarative.html,
which doesn't even contain that expression. I don't know what's wrong
with it... maybe the domain change has driven it crazy? (I have asked
Infra to make freemarker.org canonical about 2 weeks ago, but there's
no reaction so far.)

 Daniel Dekany

Sunday, November 29, 2015, 6:59:07 AM, Lee wrote:

> I fixed the issue where the search box doesn't get prepopulated. I also
> upgraded some of the npm packages. If you are on an old version of NodeJS,
> you should upgrade (should be at least 0.12.4)
>
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Lee <ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Cool, thanks! Ivy is working now : )
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, you can now update the site by committing into the "asf-site"
>>> branch of the "site" repo. As you will see when you check it out, it
>>> contains the files on the web server as is.

>>> http://freemarker.org/repos/ivy/org.freemarker/freemarker/ivy-2.3-branch-head.xml:
>>> invalid sha1: ex
>>> >>
>>> http://freemarker.org/repos/ivy/org.freemarker/freemarker/ivy-2.3-branch-head.xml

>>> --