Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2006/09/09 10:58:03 UTC

[VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

I have incorporated the latest feedback on 1.1.1-rc2.  Items that
were identified as issues included:

* 0 length files in the modules/j2ee-schema/src/j2ee*schema
directories.  I have removed the those directories.  The remaining
directories are still intact.

* Updated the RELEASE-NOTES-1.1.1.txt file to clarify the
installation of the console for J2EE certified versions of the server.

* Released Open EJB 2.1.1 so it is available online for normal
builds.  These binaries are not included in this rc3 for that reason.

* Changed the Specs and Schema to use -rc3 in their suffix to ensure
that the correct files are available.  SVN has been updated with this
version number for the specs and schema so you can checkout and build
for yourself.  Otherwise, one can download the appropriate files and
place them in their local repository (do not rename these files...use
them as is).

There have been no other comments on the RC2 thread so I am resetting
the vote and will ask for your input for hopefully the last time.
This vote will conclude at 0600 ET on Tuesday September 12th.

This vote supersedes the previous RC1 and RC2 votes; you need to vote
again.

Please remember that only PMC votes are binding but we need all
feedback we can get to ensure there are no significant unknowns.

Here is the list of artifacts:

*Schemas*
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-schema-
j2ee_1.4-1.0-rc3-src.jar
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-schema-
j2ee_1.4-1.0-rc3.jar

*Specifications*
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-j2ee-
jacc_1.0_spec-1.1.1-rc3.jar

*Source*
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-1.1.1-rc3-
src.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-1.1.1-rc3-src.zip

*Distributions*
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.zip
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
minimal-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
minimal-1.1.1-rc3.zip
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-tomcat-
j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-tomcat-
j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.zip
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-tomcat-
minimal-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-tomcat-
minimal-1.1.1-rc3.zip

Note: These artifacts are uploading at the time I am sending this e-
mail.  They may not be available for a few hours depending on the
upload speed.

Re: [VOTE SUMMARY] 1.1.1-rc3

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Matt.

Vamsi

Re: [VOTE SUMMARY] 1.1.1-rc3

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 10:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Sorry to be a pain, but I thought we had to vote on the actual
> artifact we plan to release, not something similar to the artifact
> we plan to release.
>
> So, IMO we may have voted to release something called 1.1.1-rc3,
> with lots of 1.1.1-rc3 versioned jars inside it.  I don't think we
> can release something called 1.1.1 with 1.1.1 versioned jars in it
> without an additional vote.
>
> I'm +1 on rebuilding with the actual version number without code
> changes, but I think we need to vote on the result yet again.
>
> BTW I find a problem creating a datasource through the console for
> a xa datasource -- I fixed a similar problem in trunk recently, but
> don't think this needs to block the release.
>
> Am I on crack?

As far as spinning a final I'd be happy to do it all again so we can
vote one more time.  So, look for one more.

As far as the problem with the datasources it will have to be fixed
in 1.1.2 or trunk.  Not 1.1.1.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [VOTE SUMMARY] 1.1.1-rc3

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry to be a pain, but I thought we had to vote on the actual
artifact we plan to release, not something similar to the artifact we
plan to release.

So, IMO we may have voted to release something called 1.1.1-rc3, with
lots of 1.1.1-rc3 versioned jars inside it.  I don't think we can
release something called 1.1.1 with 1.1.1 versioned jars in it
without an additional vote.

I'm +1 on rebuilding with the actual version number without code
changes, but I think we need to vote on the result yet again.

BTW I find a problem creating a datasource through the console for a
xa datasource -- I fixed a similar problem in trunk recently, but
don't think this needs to block the release.

Am I on crack?

thanks
david jencks

[VOTE SUMMARY] 1.1.1-rc3

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
+1 -- all looks good to me

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Paul,

I rebuilt the server and found I was an issue with the explict-
versions.properties that highlighted a problem with your local repo.
It appears that the geronimo-spec-je22-jacc-1.0-1.1.1.jar existed in
your local repo which is what got picked up.

This highlights a couple of issues we'll need to work out going
forward.  Given that we have three separate artifacts being released
simultaneously (new schema, j2ee-jacc and Geronimo) there are a lot
of moving parts.  In the future I think it will be easier to release
the individual artifacts before the main server release.

For your issue however, the jacc jars provided are correct.

Thanks for bringing this up.  Modifying the release plan in the
future will address this issue.

Thanks

Matt

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1 Looks good to me.

John

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Matt,  the problem I had with building from src was that
explicit_versions.properties had:

org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec//jar=1.1.1
instead of:
org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec//jar=1.1.1-rc3

So I was somehow picking up an old version of the jacc spec jar file
(not sure how because I thought I had blown away my local maven repo).
  Anyway when I updated explicit_versions.properties and rebuilt the
problem went away.

+1

thanks,
Paul

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
+1

-David

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

I've kicked the tires and think the demons are gone; at least only
harmless ones remain.

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Joe, et al,

I have to respin to create the final binaries.  I will ensure that
the 0 length files are gone.  I'd rather not do an rc4 for this
issue.  If anyone feels that we must please speak up.  Otherwise,
I'll fix this cosmetic problem during the final build.

Thanks

Matt

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 11, 2006, at 9:55 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> I think I'm having a John Kerry moment. :-)

Better than a Bush moment... :-P

> On further reflection, I'd like to change my vote back to a +1.
>
> My rationale earlier was that if it stopped us on rc2 then it
> should also stop us on rc3.  However, I don't believe that this
> issue alone would have held up rc2 and it should not hold up rc3.
> We have removed the copyright protected Sun content from
> distribution.  IANAL, but I would assume simply shipping the empty
> named files is not an exposure.

Agreed. I saw them there, also. I'd be happy to see them go, but I
don't think they're doing any harm...

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] 1.1.1-rc3 (incorporates all recent comments and issues, you need to vote again)

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Joe Bohn wrote:
> It looks like the problem is worse than I thought with the zero length
> DTDs.  They are also still present in the binary images.
>
> Looks like I have to change my vote to -1.  The truly evil could
> construe this as "Not only did you ship the Sun DTD, but you altered the
> content and removed the copyright."  :-)
>
> Joe
>

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me.   +1.
>>
>> I did notice that there are still the 0 length DTDs (and some other 0
>> length items) in the full source distribution.  I'm not sure if this
>> is something that we need to be concerned about or not.  They have
>> been removed from the schema src.
>>
>> Joe
>>

>> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I have incorporated the latest feedback on 1.1.1-rc2.  Items that
>>> were identified as issues included:
>>>
>>> * 0 length files in the modules/j2ee-schema/src/j2ee*schema
>>> directories.  I have removed the those directories.  The remaining
>>> directories are still intact.
>>>
>>> * Updated the RELEASE-NOTES-1.1.1.txt file to clarify the
>>> installation of the console for J2EE certified versions of the server.
>>>
>>> * Released Open EJB 2.1.1 so it is available online for normal
>>> builds.  These binaries are not included in this rc3 for that reason.
>>>
>>> * Changed the Specs and Schema to use -rc3 in their suffix to ensure
>>> that the correct files are available.  SVN has been updated with
>>> this  version number for the specs and schema so you can checkout and
>>> build  for yourself.  Otherwise, one can download the appropriate
>>> files and  place them in their local repository (do not rename these
>>> files...use  them as is).
>>>
>>> There have been no other comments on the RC2 thread so I am
>>> resetting  the vote and will ask for your input for hopefully the
>>> last time.   This vote will conclude at 0600 ET on Tuesday September
>>> 12th.
>>>
>>> This vote supersedes the previous RC1 and RC2 votes; you need to
>>> vote  again.
>>>
>>> Please remember that only PMC votes are binding but we need all
>>> feedback we can get to ensure there are no significant unknowns.
>>>
>>> Here is the list of artifacts:
>>>
>>> *Schemas*
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-schema-
>>> j2ee_1.4-1.0-rc3-src.jar
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-schema-
>>> j2ee_1.4-1.0-rc3.jar
>>>
>>> *Specifications*
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-j2ee-
>>> jacc_1.0_spec-1.1.1-rc3.jar
>>>
>>> *Source*
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-1.1.1-rc3-
>>> src.tar.gz
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-1.1.1-rc3-src.zip
>>>
>>> *Distributions*
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
>>> j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
>>> j2ee-1.1.1-rc3.zip
>>> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/1.1.1-rc3/geronimo-jetty-
>>> minimal-1.1.1-rc3.tar.gz

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Looks good to me.   +1.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Matt,

I was able to deploy a datasource and the testsupport/1.3 ear file.

+1

-bd-