Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/07 17:36:44 UTC

ActiveMQ on Amazon AWS cluster

Hi,

I want to use ActiveMQ on Amazon AWS EC2 cluster.

As of now I am running ActiveMQ on NFS and now want to move it to Amazon AWS
EC2 cluster. Is there anything I must be aware of or any issue ActiveMQ
devlopers have seen in the past ?

Thanks,
Anuj

Re: ActiveMQ on Amazon AWS cluster

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
One option that's definitely open to you is to do what anyone can do when
an open-source project doesn't support a feature they need: implement it
yourself and contribute the code to the project so everyone benefits from
it like you've benefited from the work others have already done.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM, khandelwalanuj <khandelwal.anuj90@gmail.com

Posted by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com>.
Can I use object store here with ActiveMQ ?

Re: ActiveMQ on Amazon AWS cluster

Posted by Michael Wittig <mi...@tullius-walden.com>.
Hi Anuj ,

you may want to use one of the databases available in AWS RDS to provide HA
persistence for your messages as PersistenceAdapter. Easier than a shared
filesystem.

With guaranteed IOPS (depending on the message size) we observe ~ 1
message/sec per 2 IOPS.

Maybe a hosted solution like http://www.cinovo.de/activemq-as-a-service/
will also help.

Regards,
Michael

> > Multicast won't work on EC2
>
> Here multicast means UDP multicast and discovery transports, right ?
>
> I will be running master-slave broker with shared storage. And clients will
> be connecting using the failover URI as :
> failover:(tcp://primarybrokerURI:61616, tcp://failoverbrokerURI:61616)
>
> I guess I should not face any other problem using failover TCP URI.
>  Just want to know any other precautions, I must be aware off.
>

> Thanks,
> Anuj

Michael Wittig

Tullius Walden Bank AG
Calwer Str. 11
70173 Stuttgart

Phone: +49 711 1377-1371
Fax: +49 711 1377-1399
michael.wittig@tullius-walden.com
www.tullius-walden.com

Sitz: Stuttgart
Registergericht: Stuttgart
HRB: 735963
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Hubertus Endres
Vorstand: Christoph Metzger, Harry Fix

Re: ActiveMQ on Amazon AWS cluster

Posted by khandelwalanuj <kh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noel OConnor <no...@gmail.com>.
Multicast won't work on EC2 and the attached storage may give you
performance issues if you're doing persistent messaging.
I'd do a proof of concept first to ensure that activemq on EC2 can do
what you need.