Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/17 00:36:50 UTC

Re: [Documentation] What gives the most bang for the buck?

On 12/18/2012 12:25 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> As we wait, patiently, for the new doc list to be created, it might be
> worth having a quick discussion about priorities.
>
> I know there has been talk about "getting started" guides, perhaps
> done on the wiki.
>
> Another idea I had was a very targeted version of that, thinking
> specifically of Microsoft Office users migrating to OpenOffice.  Would
> it be worth having a small guide just for them, say the "top 10"
> helpful hints for MS Office users, things they might find confusing at
> first.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) In Calc, the argument separator is a semi-colon, not a comma.
>
> 2) In Calc, toggling absolute address mode is done by a shift-F4, not an F4
>
> OK.  Maybe we end up more with 40 or 50 things like this.
>
> Would this be useful and worth trying?
>
> -Rob

I realize I am a bit late in reviewing this thread. However, here's a
site I came across:
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/office_guides/microsoft_office_to_openoffice_migration/index.html

-- and a specific example

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/office_guides/microsoft_office_to_openoffice_migration/openoffice_migration_Keyboard_shortcuts_0606MG-DifferencesInUseCalcExcel.html

info is for OO.o 3.2. See licensing details. Maybe we can use it.
MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                  -- Aesop