Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by guang wu <ki...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/08 12:17:47 UTC

how can i debug the cloudstack?

hi, friends! i have set up the develop environment for eclipse according
that "How to set up a CloudStack development environment" document(
http://docs.cloudstack.org/Knowledge_Base/How_to_set_up_a_CloudStack_development_environment)
already.
but find some error in these project! i don't know whether effect
development, and i don't know how to debug the project, such as how to set
break point(source code) follow the program every step handle as the same
other java web /java application project . can you help me ? thanks!

Re: how can i debug the cloudstack?

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <Pr...@citrix.com>.
On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 06:17:47AM -0400, guang wu wrote:
> hi, friends! i have set up the develop environment for eclipse according
> that "How to set up a CloudStack development environment" document(
> http://docs.cloudstack.org/Knowledge_Base/How_to_set_up_a_CloudStack_development_environment)
> already.
> but find some error in these project! i don't know whether effect
> development, and i don't know how to debug the project, such as how to set
> break point(source code) follow the program every step handle as the same
> other java web /java application project . can you help me ? thanks!

Would this help? :
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/2012/03/01/Debug+mode

--
Prasanna.,

RE: how can i debug the cloudstack?

Posted by Frank Zhang <Fr...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

> Hi, I'm trying to get the servlet work on eclipse, too.
> I've read the documentation, and did as described.
> But I could not figure out the setup is useful, except searching the code.
> I wonder does anybody actually using this?
> What's the standard setup to write or debug the code?

we are not usually running CloudStack from eclipse, instead, we deploy it in a Linux machine with Tomcat6 installed,
you can spring up a CloudStack instance by running 'ant build-all deploy-db deployd-server debug' in the root folder of source, once the instance is running , it  listens on 8787 port and you are able to connect to debug it using remote debug configuration of Eclipse.

> I could not understand the concept why there're so many java class packages
> distributed over many separate projects?
> For example, agent, agent-simulator, core and server has each
> com.cloud.agent package classes.

Emm, there are some historic reasons. Backing to early 2008 when we started CloudStack, there was not any advanced opensource project as a reference, we tried various ways to figure out what's the best
practice to create cloud manager. These projects you mentioned, exhibit the course of history of  our effort attempting to build an excellent cloud manager.
During the quick growth journey, we spent most effort in developing cutting-edge features, as a consequence, we sacrificed a little code organization.
We have noticed this and have started working on improving it. Alex has post a proposal for re-organizing CloudStack components in a more modularity way. This would be the main direction we are focusing on in next couple of months.

Welcome any idea to make CloudStack code more modularity!

Posted by KAWAI Hiroaki <ka...@stratosphere.co.jp>.