Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com> on 2004/09/01 05:25:13 UTC

struts module maven plugin

Hi,

I'm thinking of developing a maven plugin for struts modules.  I want to check that this
isn't being done by anyone else and to get feedback from the struts / maven communities.

The idea came from working on LogWeb http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/  When
producing distros I have to produce a number of builds, including instructions on how to
install each of them within your application.

1) standalone web app
2) module for bundling within struts web application
3) module for bundling within non-struts web application

It then occured to me that this process would be made easier if I split the project into two:
1) a web application
2) a struts module
It then followed that a struts module maven plugin would be useful to automate the process
of packaging modules and installing them into web applications.

Some possible advantages of this approach to assembling web-applications:
1) automate process of bundling 3rd party web application modules within your web-app -
e.g logweb, pow2acl etc. etc.
2) reduced build size / deploy time.  If you have a large multi-module web-app, during
development you could split your project into modules compiling & deploying only the
modules you're currently working on.

what this plugin could do
1) assemble modules and install them in the repo
2) obtain dependent modules and unzip them into a web-app at assembly time
3) modify web.xml to add module <init-param>

cheers
Nathan