Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Paul Goulbourn <pa...@goulbourn.com> on 2000/06/18 13:56:48 UTC

Junit task

Sorry if this is an FAQ (I did at least try and get the FAQ list but was
informed there wasn't one).

I'm a recent convert to both JUnit and Ant, has someone already created a
JUnit task or is the norm to run it through the java task? My reason for
asking is that the java task doesn't seem to stop the build when a test
fails as JUnit has completed successfully.

Thanks,
Paul.

Re: Junit task

Posted by David Bullock <db...@ardec.com.au>.
That'd be 'disseminate'  ;-)

Also, it's always worth verifying your statements before sending.  ie.  Make
an absolute statement about whether the quesiton is in the FAQ or not - it
doesn't sound credible if you hedge your bets - less credible than if you are
actually wrong! (cause most people aren't going to bother to check).

regards,
David.

--
David Bullock
Project Leader

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAcorp
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
--------------------      ------------------------
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866
--------------------      ------------------------

RE: FAQ (was Re: Junit task)

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@m64.com>.
Peter,

You can create an account and add it yourself. Click on the [Login] link.

Conor

FAQ (was Re: Junit task)

Posted by Peter Nordlund <pe...@lentus.se>.
Hi again,

May I suggest that the FAQ for ant is made available directly from the ant
main page.

Now you first have to go to the projects FAQ where the tomcat FAQ is default
(that's ok). Next you have to click on a link with the text "Jakarta -
Tomcat" to get
to the next page where you may choose to view the ant FAQ.

I think that the present layout is quite unintuitive and easy to miss.

Also, of course add the answer to my stupid question! ;-)

/Peter

Re: Junit task

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 2000/06/19 00:41, Tom Cook at tcook@ardec.com.au wrote:

> On 19 Jun 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> you've searched at the wrong place 8^). Take a look at the welcome
>> email you've received when you subscribed to this list.
>
> On this topic, I've been meaning to suggest for a while that the FAQ be
> updated (I'm not sure what's in it, actually, but something along the
> lines of 'I can't compile because I don't have jaxp.jar/parser.jar' would
> not go amiss... also 'When I compile under JDk1.3/Jikes it does nothing')

Go for it -- we've got Jive. :)

And yes, I can take as an action item to add a link to it in the footer that
should be on this list (along with unsubscription info). It won't happen
till next week or so though.

.duncan

Re: Junit task

Posted by Tom Cook <tc...@ardec.com.au>.
On 19 Jun 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> you've searched at the wrong place 8^). Take a look at the welcome
> email you've received when you subscribed to this list.

On this topic, I've been meaning to suggest for a while that the FAQ be
updated (I'm not sure what's in it, actually, but something along the
lines of 'I can't compile because I don't have jaxp.jar/parser.jar' would
not go amiss... also 'When I compile under JDk1.3/Jikes it does nothing')
and that it be included with the email sent on joining the list. I've seen
a few too many times in the last few weeks someone asking these questions,
and this seems to me a good way to desseminate this information.

Cheerio
--
Tom Cook - Software Engineer

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts functioning the moment you get
up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office."
	- Robert Frost

LISAcorp - www.lisa.com.au

38 Greenhill Rd.          Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville, SA, 5034        Sydney, NSW, 2000

Phone:   +61 8 8272 1555  Phone:   +61 2 9283 0877
Fax:     +61 8 8271 1199  Fax:     +61 2 9283 0866

Re: Junit task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
Hi Peter,

 PN> What archive? I searched the ant pages ...

you've searched at the wrong place 8^). Take a look at the welcome
email you've received when you subscribed to this list.

Depending on when you've subscribed, you'll need to change
jakarta-apache.org into jakarta.apache.org in the hostname part of the
email addresses given.

Stefan

Re: Junit task

Posted by David Maclean <da...@cm.co.za>.

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Peter Nordlund wrote:

> Sorry to bother you with a trivial question, I'm also interested in the
> Junit task:
>
> What archive? I searched the ant pages and I didn't find anything about
> an archive.
> The only thing I found was a tomcat-dev archive.
>
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
> > It is article
> > number 1070 "JUnit task and friends" if you want to retrieve it from
> > the archive.
>
> /Peter

Send email to ant-dev-get.1070@jakarta.apache.org

David

Re: Junit task

Posted by Peter Nordlund <pe...@lentus.se>.

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> It is article
> number 1070 "JUnit task and friends" if you want to retrieve it from
> the archive.

/Peter

Re: Junit task

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 PG> has someone already created a JUnit task

Yes, Thomas Haas and I did with Thomas doing most of the work. Thomas
has sent the whole stuff to the list some weeks ago. It is article
number 1070 "JUnit task and friends" if you want to retrieve it from
the archive.

There are several reasons why this has not been included into Ant - it
would have to be an optional task anyway. One reason is that the whole
handling of optional tasks inside of Ant is going to change (and back
in April it looked as if this would happen rather soon).

On the other hand Thomas developed some utility classes to represent
PATH like file lists and command line arguments as well as an improved
Exec tasks. We hoped they - or modified version of them - could be
integrated into Ant and thus easy the life of the JUnit task.

Oh and yes, the JUnit task can throw a BuildException - which means
stop the build process - if a test fails, this can be tailored to your
needs by attributes.

Stefan

Re: Junit task

Posted by James Todd <jw...@pacbell.net>.
i echo this as well. i'm very interested in adding jUnit to the mix.
the event handling (logging, emailing, etc) sounds compelling as
well.

- james

Re: Junit task

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <ch...@netscape.com>.
Hi all,

RE: Junit task

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Thomas,

> However, if it takes longer to build the next so much improved and
> defently needed version of ANT, I woul like to add JUnit and friends, if
> welcomed.

Bring it on :-). I am currently using JUnit through a <Java> task. It works,
but it is not especially neat. A separate task would be great. I think it
would be good, too, to see the motivations for making changes to the ant
core.

I don't think we should wait for a big-bang changes to the core. We can make
the incremental changes to the current core while we discuss the shape of
the ant's future. Such changes will help us know what works and what should
be changed.

> Right now, we have our own version of ANT, which we maintain seperatly
> from the offical ANT. I dislike this situation. I would love to commit
> more of our stuff, BUT I would like to get more feedback.

We, too, maintain our own version of ant. I would like to narrow the gap
over time.

> I hope some of the new committers take on and help improve the situation.

OK, what do we need to do to get the JUnit task in there ?

Conor

Re: Junit task

Posted by Thomas Haas <th...@softwired-inc.com>.