Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Pavel Hlavnicka <pa...@gingerall.cz> on 2000/11/15 19:37:20 UTC

Session/context scoped objects

Dear SOAP developers,
first I'd like to say a big THANKS.

I've made one observation and I've one proposal. It is related to
session management.

I use SOAP with Tomcat. In our architecture some servers responding to
web requests (mod_perl) makes soap calls to another server (hmm... one
could say application server) with Tomcat/soap. We establish the session
between web server and application server valid during web request
processing.

Todyas model of session scoped object deployed to soap servlet works
fine with one exception. There is no way, how to access the relevant
HttpSession interface. (At least I didn't find out how to do it). So, if
it is possible tell me how to do it and do not continue with reading.

In the case I'm right, I have the following proposal:

RPCRouterServlet is responsible for creation of targetObject (using
reflection API). My idea is to define new interface (say
SOAPSessionScoped. In the case the targetObject supports this interface,
RPCRouterServlet whould call method like setHttpSession on it.

This should be possible once per object instance or per soap call
(should be synchronized in this case).

The same thing might be done for context object.

Does is make sense?

If somebody is interested, I can hack the first implementation (soon,
because I'm hurry :)

Regards

Pavel H

--
Pavel Hlavnicka
www.gingerall.cz

Re: Session/context scoped objects

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.
Hi Pavel.

Your proposal makes sense. I don't know if we want to integrate
something like this in the implementation of ApacheSOAP 2.0 .For the 3.0
version that we are designing, this issue is taken care of by having the
"HttpSession" available in the MessageContext that goes along with the
message during the processing of the message. You will have access to an
attribute "soap.transport.http.session" that would be set by the initial
servlet.

As far as 2.x is concerned, what do you guys think ? Do you want to add
it the way Pavel proposed it ?

Regards,

Jean-Noel

Posted by Jean-Noel Gadreau <jn...@activcard.com>.