Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by lalit sahoo <la...@yahoo.com> on 2004/04/16 08:46:11 UTC

JMeter Architecture

Hi!All,
I am working in load testing projects using jmeter.I
want to know the internal architecture of jmeter.From
where i should start?Can anybody help in this regard?

=====
Lalit sahoo

Re: JMeter Download.

Posted by BIJUMON RAMACHANDRAN <bi...@yahoo.com>.
JMETER 2.0 Download Link:

(winzip):
http://apache.neckel.com/jakarta/jmeter/binaries/jakarta-jmeter-2.0.0_bin.zip

OR
(TGZ):
http://apache.neckel.com/jakarta/jmeter/binaries/jakarta-jmeter-2.0.0_bin.tgz

regards
biju

--- Jamuna Ranganathan <ra...@yahoo.co.in>

JMeter Download.

Re: JMeter Architecture

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

JMeter's engine is responsible for performing reflection at start up to get the list of samplers, listeners and so on.  I actually don't know the internal engine pieces that well. Mike, and Sebastian know a lot more than I do.

Basically, the engine uses the JTree to figure out if a node in the tree is a GUI for a sampler. It knows this because the class implements the base interface or extends the abstract class. When you start the test, it calls the createTestElement (I could be wrong) in the GUI, which is responsible for configuring the sampler.

the testElement is then executed by calling Sample().  To get a better idea, I would suggest read the code and looking at the Javadocs. Most of the classes have decent comments and should be "mostly" up-to-date.

peter lin

lalit sahoo <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi!peter,

You are correct.I am interested in how JMeter's engine
invokes the GUI and handles the test element.

=====
Lalit sahoo

Re: JMeter Architecture

Re: JMeter Architecture

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

It's the responsibility of the GUI to modify and create the test element. The test element is the sampler. basically, the GUI is responsible for populating the sampler's required attributes.  The sampler performs the actual request.

does that answer your question? or are you interested in how JMeter's engine invokes the GUI and handles the test element?

peter lin

lalit sahoo <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi!Peter

Thanks for the response.I am little bit confused while
i was going through the code related to generation of
test element after entering the values in related gui.

=====
Lalit sahoo

Re: JMeter Architecture

Re: JMeter Architecture

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

that depends on what kind of information you're looking for.  If you're talking about deep knowledge of the jmeter engine and how it manages the threads, the best way is to read the code. We don't have any high level class diagrams and design docs.  A couple of us have been thinking about creating some class diagrams to explain the architecture, but we haven't gotten around to it.

If you just want to write a plugin, then look at one of the many samplers to get a better idea. Generally, you need to write two classes.

1. the gui for your sampler
2. the sampler - HttpSampler for example

if you have specific questions about writing plugin, just post them on the list. without knowing what you're thinking of, it's hard to answer the question effectively.