Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 16:59:35 UTC

mapred/mapreduce classes in hbase-server rather than hbase-client

It looks like maybe as part of HBASE-4336, classes under the mapred and
mapreduce package are now deployed in the hbase-server artifact.  Wouldn't
it make more sense to have these deployed in hbase-client?  hbase-server is
a pretty big artifact to pull down to get access to TableOutputFormat, for
example.

If this makes sense, I can open a Jira.  I just thought I'd see if someone
could explain the rationale first.  Thanks!

-Keegan

Re: mapred/mapreduce classes in hbase-server rather than hbase-client

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Hi Keegan,

Unfortunately, at the time of the module split in 0.96, we could not
completely decouple mapreduce classes from the server dependencies. I think
we actually need two modules to be extracted out, one is hbase-mapreduce
(probably separate module than client module) and hbase-storage for the
storage bits. I am sure at some point that will happen.

Enis

Posted by Keegan Witt <ke...@gmail.com>.