Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jayson Enriquez <JE...@smud.org> on 2007/03/29 19:17:36 UTC

Virtual Memory or Mem usage monitoring

Hi all, (another memory question)

I am currently running Tomcat 5.5 on Windows server 2003 (2gb). Tomcat
memory resources are monitored in Windows Task Manager. Should I be more
concerned with Mem Usage or VM usage? Is Virtual Memory the actual
memory usage? Will gc release memory after it hits -Xmx 256? What
will/should mem drop down to after release?

Catalina.bat - set CATALINA_OPTS=%CATALINA_OPTS%
-Djava.library.path="C:\Program Files\Documentum\shared" -Xms256m
-Xmx256m -verbose:gc

Thank you

________________________________

Jayson Enriquez CHDP

Re: Virtual Memory or Mem usage monitoring

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
I also do this, if I have threads and opening and closing db connections
etc.... nice way to watch the thing running.
I find memory is not the thing to watch other than telling you in general
that the machine doesnt have enough.
Watch the HANDLES.... those things should be go up and come down quickly or
stabalize at some value.
If you have a problem with dB connections or you not releasing memory....
the handles will just keep climbing and then eventually windows will go
snail on you and everything gets very very slow.

Internally Windows uses handles for everything whether its on the heap or
memory mapped or access to a port, if they stable.... life is good.
If you then find a problem... netbeans has a profiler which should help you
find where you not releasing memory.

regards,
Johnny