Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/28 21:19:36 UTC

switch to: Require approval for all outside collaborators

Hi devs,

gh has a setting which controls when workflows need approval before they
run, the default seems to be:

"require approval for first-time contributors" or at least this is the
setting the netbeans project is running on.

I would like to contact apache infra and ask if we could switch this to:

"Require approval for all outside collaborators"

see step 4 in:

https://docs.github.com/en/repositories/managing-your-repositorys-settings-and-features/enabling-features-for-your-repository/managing-github-actions-settings-for-a-repository#controlling-changes-from-forks-to-workflows-in-public-repositories

outside collaborators are defined here:

https://docs.github.com/en/organizations/managing-user-access-to-your-organizations-repositories/adding-outside-collaborators-to-repositories-in-your-organization

which sounds like this would be what we want. Anyone with apache commit
right would be a collaborator, unless i am missing something obvious?

thoughts?

-mbien

Re: switch to: Require approval for all outside collaborators

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
the setting has been now changed for our 'netbeans' repo.

It should not affect contributors with commit rights, what it should do
is to ask for PR workflow approval for PRs opened by non-committers (not
only for first-time committers). Everything else remains the same.

I don't think this requires a notice mail since most won't notice any
change.

Infra considers to make this the default for all apache projects (see
infra ticket linked in the quoted mail).

regards,
michael

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the +1s Laszlo and Antonio,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.
Excellent job! Thank you!

We've now saved lots of trees being burned for nothing all around the globe.

Kind regards,
Antonio

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
just to update everyone on this who are not subscribed to the infra
mailing list:

infra now made it the default for all apache projects, not only for our
netbeans repo.

(there is still the option to switch it back via a ticket for individual
projects)

pretty good result I would say! :)

best regards,

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net.INVALID>.