Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org> on 2012/09/04 15:44:16 UTC

Re: Examples app

2012/7/24 Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>:
> Unless someone has the time to give the showcase application a full
> redesign, having small focused examples around sounds reasonable to me.
> Martin's valid concerns about quality assurance should indeed be well
> addressed by having Selenium or WebDriver tests around - which would be
> a good demonstration by itself on how to develop robust web
> applications. We could easily establish a "no release without
> integration / automated acceptance tests" policy for such example projects.

I thought about using Selenium, but I found JWebUnit [1], which
basically wraps Selenium and HtmlUnit. WDYT?

http://jwebunit.sourceforge.net/

Kind regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Examples app

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2012/9/4 Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>:
> I think the coolest would be to have some BDD in there, like with easyb/etc.

I have no experiences with BDD/easyb, some example ?

> It can drive JWebUnit (IIRC, or HtmlUnit), can be run from Maven, and is
> easy to write.

Yeah, no needs to run a web browser and so on, but that's wrong :/

Anyway, I was able to add a simple integration test to Blank Webapp,
it looks like below, WDYT? Is it the right direction ?

public class HelloWorldIntegrationTest {

    public static final int PORT = 8090;

    @Before
    public void setUp() throws Exception {
        Server server = new Server(PORT);
        WebAppContext handler = new WebAppContext("src/main/webapp",
"/struts2-blank");
        server.setHandler(handler);
        server.start();

        JWebUnit.setBaseUrl("http://localhost:" + PORT + "/struts2-blank/");
    }

    @Test
    public void testIndex() throws Exception {
        // when
        JWebUnit.beginAt("index.action");

        // then
        JWebUnit.assertResponseCode(200);
        JWebUnit.assertTitleEquals("Struts is up and running ...");
        JWebUnit.assertLinkPresentWithExactText("English");
        JWebUnit.assertLinkPresentWithExactText("Espanol");
    }

}

Regards

Re: Examples app

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
I think the coolest would be to have some BDD in there, like with easyb/etc.

It can drive JWebUnit (IIRC, or HtmlUnit), can be run from Maven, and is
easy to write.

Dave

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>wrote:

> 2012/7/24 Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>:
> > Unless someone has the time to give the showcase application a full
> > redesign, having small focused examples around sounds reasonable to me.
> > Martin's valid concerns about quality assurance should indeed be well
> > addressed by having Selenium or WebDriver tests around - which would be
> > a good demonstration by itself on how to develop robust web
> > applications. We could easily establish a "no release without
> > integration / automated acceptance tests" policy for such example
> projects.
>
> I thought about using Selenium, but I found JWebUnit [1], which
> basically wraps Selenium and HtmlUnit. WDYT?
>
> http://jwebunit.sourceforge.net/
>

> Kind regards
> --
> Łukasz