Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by jason_lunn <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/05 01:26:00 UTC

In Search Of: Theory of product catalog composition

Hello OFBiz-Users,

I'm just getting started with OFBiz and I am looking for a thread, wiki
entry, document, or video that gives an in depth treatment to the different
ways one could conceivably design one's product catalog.

The best series of documents I have found on the subject so far have been
included in the
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145855&package_id=189005
oftaps user manuals .

I'm basically after a discussion of tradeoffs between the various ways one
could describe the same set of products. Amongst other questions, this
discussion would answer:

1) How is each product type different from the others in terms of the way
they're treated by the standard OFBiz applications?
2) When is it most appropriate to use sub-assemblies?
3) The product being sold has a *lot* of permutations, say on the order of
10,000 different possibilities. What is the process for deciding which
permutations should be features and which should be configurations?

Sincerely,

 - Jason

Re: In Search Of: Theory of product catalog composition

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
then it is best to look at the demo data that comes with ofbiz.
the PC001 is a configurable item.
you can also do a BOM in manufacturing that is built of an item.
the trick is to combine the two if you want to capture the manufacturing
in to the configuration.

jason_lunn sent the following on 12/4/2007 7:52 PM:

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I think BJ is right here. It sounds like you have a specific set of
requirements (even if they aren't totally defined or clear yet), and
in order to implement a system some analysis and design will be
required, and that isn't something you can get from a book or an open
source project.

Both are simply resources that once understood can be used as a
foundation and tools to make your design and implementation efforts
easier and less risky.

-David

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by jason_lunn <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sunder,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
BTW you link give a session timed out.
here is the ofbiz demo for configuration.
http://demo.hotwaxmedia.com/ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=PROMOTIONS/~product_id=PC001
I believe what Jason is trying to figure out is how to put the BOM into
the cart and have the create parts as the order comes in from the
ecommerce side.
though the mechanism is there, there may be some work he or a programmer
 to do.

The part that is not really done is to have a bom built from the
configuration then have the manufacturing generate the work order to
build those parts.
at least that is one way.
however till there is an understanding of how he builds these, I would
guess this is not going to be the only changes necessary.

V. Sunder Anand sent the following on 12/6/2007 5:28 PM:

Posted by "V. Sunder Anand" <su...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Start from page 76 in data model resource book. You may find it useful.  I
am really new to OFbiz platform and my input is on the system analysis
perspective, which I am myself doing it for my requirement.

Regards, v.sunder anand

Posted by "V. Sunder Anand" <su...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

Posted by jason_lunn <ja...@gmail.com>.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Much of this has been discussed in the past. Perhaps a Google search will
> give you more information:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ofbiz+product+features+configurations+variants&btnG=Google+Search
>
> -Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for the search terms. I didn't come across anything that I hadn't
either seen before or was unhelpful in learning what the specific tradeoffs
are.

Perhaps you could explain some of your own process to me? Do you mostly use
Features or Configurations, and why? Do you ever mix the two, and what basis
do you decide what to make a Feature and what to make a Configuration?

Re: In Search Of: Theory of product catalog composition

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Jason,

Posted by jason_lunn <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "v. sunder anand" <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jason_lunn <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
first I suggest you get the The Data Model Resource Book, Revised
Edition, Volumes 1 & 2" books referred
here
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Related+Books
this will let you know the abilities of ofbiz.
then read
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Catalog
Your questions would be answered differently for each industry.

jason_lunn sent the following on 12/4/2007 4:26 PM: