Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net> on 2001/08/21 21:23:43 UTC

ARGH! Libtool 1.4 breaks our build!

Unfortunately, PHP4 requires libtool 1.4, but libtool 1.4 has removed ltconfig,
so I can't create shlibtool, so I can't build shared modules.  I HATE LIBTOOL!

BTW, I am working on fixing this, but after two days, I just had to gripe.

Ryan

Re: ARGH! Libtool 1.4 breaks our build!

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.
On Tuesday 21 August 2001 14:13, Ian Holsman wrote:
> Ok..
> that's it.
> I have a old 'shlibtool' in my root directory
>
> and thats to .cvsignore I never saw it.
> make distclean should really remove that.

No it shouldn't.  make distclean leaves the tree in the same state as when you
run ./buildconf.  make extraclean removes everything.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:11:56PM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> I haven't got any idea, and I have wasted FAR too much time on this today.  :-(
>
> I am at the point right now, that I just want to remove libtool from our build system
> all together.  I can ALMOST get it to build, but install is another question all together.

If you can get it to understand the library building differences
and nuances, I'm all for removing libtool.  But, hey, that's tough.

> I am guessing that there is a simple flag to pass to libtool that turns it into
> what used to be call shlibtool, but I can't find that flag, and -prefer-pic didn't
> do it.

I can't find it either.  The docs aren't of any help.  Where are the
libtool hackers?

> I am not giving up, but if somebody else wants to beat me to a fix, FEEL FREE!!!!

Well, I got to do some other stuff right now, but I'll take a gander at
it later tonight.  -- justin

Re: ARGH! Libtool 1.4 breaks our build!

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
> I am guessing that there is a simple flag to pass to libtool
> that turns it into what used to be call shlibtool, but I can't
> find that flag, and -prefer-pic didn't do it.

    Well, that is all we do in php, so it should work for you.

    I'd suggest though to rip out pre-libtool 1.4 support -- it
    really does not give you too much.

> I am not giving up, but if somebody else wants to beat me to a
> fix, FEEL FREE!!!!

    I'll look into it tomorrow (moving to another place in six
    hours).

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg

Re: ARGH! Libtool 1.4 breaks our build!

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Ian Holsman wrote:

> Ok..
> that's it.
> I have a old 'shlibtool' in my root directory
>
> and thats to .cvsignore I never saw it.
> make distclean should really remove that.

Naw, make extraclean should.  make distclean should take you back to the
point AFTER running buildconf (the state at which we distribute the
tarball).

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: ARGH! Libtool 1.4 breaks our build!

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com>.
Ok..

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@cnet.com>.
my configure script is below.

in the buildconf it says 1.4

rpm -q libtool
gives
libtool-1.4-6

I just did a make clean, pulled the latest CVS HEAD and ran the below.
it built, installed, and is running now without a hitch.

to be doubly sure... I'm running make distclean now and re-doing it

--configure script--
#!/bin/bash
#
./buildconf
export OPTIM="-O2"
./configure \
    --enable-so \
    --prefix=/usr/local/apache \
    --enable-shared \
    --enable-proxy \

--enable-mods-shared=rewrite,status,spelling,unique_id,headers,expires,usertrack,proxy,file-cache,cgi,cgid
\
    --enable-rewrite=shared \
    --enable-status=shared \
    --enable-spelling=shared \