Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org> on 2012/01/26 07:31:57 UTC

migration / porting idea

Hi Tap List -

Disclaimer:  I'm more systems than dev at the moment, but I can fumble my way through J2EE deving and have implemented a standard protocol for telephony signalling in the early 2000's - I'm not pure dev these days because 10 years ago the complexity of java web dev put me off (read: xml config).  But tapestry is great!

Short version:
Drupal -> Tapestry port  -  has anyone done something similar with _any_ CMS to tapestry?

If the CSS is available, and I make my blocks/template/components the same names/layout - I can't imagine there being much more special-ness to add.
Comments?   Is it that simple?

Why?

1..  Personally, I'm sick of doing PHP stuff.  I'm an old time hack these days :)  and I like my network and systems than web stuff.   Nothing is out-of-the-box magic, so if I _have_ to do stuff, I'd rather do it in tapestry.

2.. To create the ability to port from a PHP(any) CMS to tapestry.

The way I see it - the model is pretty much there in the DB, lots of people have learned OO stuff  - and you can craft most of it in a day or two if a) it's a crappy schema; or, b) it's just not the type of thing you're good at.  You could point at it with POJOGEN (http://pojogen.sourceforge.net/ - used it, no probs for me) or eclipse I believe.

Longer version:  if you're still reading - cool - me too :)

I've had an idea for ages - I like just hacking at bits of code here and there but as I get a little bit older there's a little bit less and less wanting to do so - a comment from a tapestry legend (GC of jumpstart fame) set it off - why dive into an existing framework to find it's bugs and mangle with it when you don't have to with tapestry.

Having used drupal for 4+ years for prototypes and what not, I just don't like PHP.   I've got some junk testing libs that come-to-think-off-it will put up on github if they still work - e.g. webservices etc.  great - drupal for instance is just coming out of v6 and into v7 (well for 12 months) but v6 websites are still out there in the thousands.

If I get started, on it (which I will) is there anyone that's willing to follow me down the rabbit hole?

On a slight tangent:
Same with sugarcrm - the last CRM migration I did was 5 years ago (it seems, maybe).  It's an OK CRM but a CRM is a massive undertaking.   These CRMs charge $12 - $20+/user/month -  tapestry community could make something like that within 12 months.  Sort of Co-Op style.

/rant

Chris

Re: migration / porting idea

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:56:58 -0200, Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>
wrote:

> cool - yeah i agree.... i wouldn't do a line-by-line comparison of code,
> but a higher level page by page and funtionality etc.
> learn the db and apply it to tap - can only try it

I wouldn't even reuse the page and database structure unless they're very
well written. I have no Drupal knowledge, so I can't give opinions about
this. :)

Anyway, with a project being started from scratch, I wouldn't limit myself
to what some other project does. I'd copy the good ideas, of course. :)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: migration / porting idea

Posted by Chris Mylonas <ch...@opencsta.org>.
cool - yeah i agree.... i wouldn't do a line-by-line comparison of code, but a higher level page by page and funtionality etc.
learn the db and apply it to tap - can only try it

i.e. a block is a block (like sidebar in demo tap app)
the nav is the same
modules like blog & taxonomy would be easily coded
panel is more of a template thing

if anyone wants a drupal site to see what's it about i can make a copy of one of my personal ones and you can see what i mean.

i'll give it a shot anyway - i think it's a go-er.

Re: migration / porting idea

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hi Tap List -