Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kip Warner <Ki...@thevertigo.com> on 2006/07/18 06:11:23 UTC

svn: Inconsistent line ending style

# svn ci MyProject --file foo.txt
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Inconsistent line ending style

I've googled around and searched the user and dev mailing list, and apparently this is already a noted issue. Is there any way I can find the offending file(s)? What does it mean to have inconsistent line ending styles?

--
Kip Warner
Vertigo

Re: svn: Inconsistent line ending style

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 18, 2006, at 08:11, Kip Warner wrote:

> # svn ci MyProject --file foo.txt
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Inconsistent line ending style
>
> I've googled around and searched the user and dev mailing list, and
> apparently this is already a noted issue. Is there any way I can
> find the offending file(s)? What does it mean to have inconsistent
> line ending styles?

It means you have set the svn:eol-style property on a file, thereby
asking Subversion to convert the file's line endings to some style,
but your file does not contain exclusively one EOL style. For
example, maybe some lines of the file are separated by Unix line
endings (LF character) while others are separated by DOS-style line
endings (CR+LF).

We had these kinds of line-ending problems with files from our
programmers who use UltraEdit on Windows, because it has ridiculous
default settings which lead to this kind of nonsense. Perhaps your
editor is similar.

Either that, or you've specified svn:eol-style on a file for which
you did not mean to do so -- for a binary file perhaps?

Re: svn: Inconsistent line ending style

Posted by Duane Griffin <d....@psenterprise.com>.
On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 09:29 +0200, Lieven Govaerts wrote:
> Inconsistent eol styles means you have files which contain multiple EOL styles
> (LF and CRLF typically).
>
> The fact that you don't see the filename in the error message was reported by
> someone as issue 2459, but until now unreproducible. In fact I proposed to
> close it because of that.
>
> Can you tell more about your platform & svn client version.
>
> Can you also try without the --file option?

This has hit me a couple of times: it seems to be because the message
file contains the inconsistent newlines. I've updated the issue tracker.

Cheers,
Duane.

--
Duane Griffin
Senior Software Developer

Process Systems Enterprise Limited - "The model company"
Bridge Studios, 107a Hammersmith Bridge Road, London W6 9DA
Call +44 (0)20 8563 0888 or visit us at www.psenterprise.com

Re: svn: Inconsistent line ending style

Posted by Mike The Mathematician <mi...@mitre.org>.
Hi Lieven,

Could you also consider modifying issue 2459 to
provide the line number in the file where
the first inconsistent eol appears, so that
we could learn what svn sees as wrong,
and set up a regular expression to fix it?

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@mobsol.be>.
Inconsistent eol styles means you have files which contain multiple EOL styles
(LF and CRLF typically).

The fact that you don't see the filename in the error message was reported by
someone as issue 2459, but until now unreproducible. In fact I proposed to
close it because of that.

Can you tell more about your platform & svn client version.

Can you also try without the --file option?

Lieven.