Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org> on 2013/04/11 10:50:13 UTC

Share: SystemVM template for VMWare which has open-vm-tools

Hey community!

The systemvm build job [1] fails to create VMWare compatible ova, I could
not find a solution that would completely use opensource tools so I went
ahead to use ovftool. First I import the vmdk produced by this buildjob [1]
in a new VMWare Fusion/Workstation VM, fix it's compatibility and settings.
Next I use ovftool to export the ova. (ovftool <vmx> <output ova>).

I've updated this workaround on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Build+Your+Own+SystemVM+Templates

So, far I've only uploaded vmware systemvm template (master, rev:
a0b5ebccb814cbb12c5f40aa0c8894ebb3b322d6) which install only open-vm-tools:

http://people.apache.org/~bhaisaab/cloudstack/systemvmtemplates/systemvmtemplate-openvmtools-vmware.ova
MD5 (systemvmtemplate-openvmtools-vmware.ova) =
406e9b3dae3ff2e8ee06cf461828cb06

To install vmware-tools (I'm told they are needed for certain VPC features
on VMWare), it requires:

0. Packages: build-essential, linux-headers and gcc for building modules
1. Bigger space in /usr (so the current partition scheme of systemvms does
not work for me)
2. Running on VMWare Fusion/Workstation, I tried to automate this on the
vbox/veewee buildjob it failed complaining: "this configuration program is
to be executed in a virtual machine".

Pl. share if there is a workaround that can be automated. I'll try to build
my own systemvm with vmware-tools from Fusion, upload the template with 'em
soon.

[1] http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/view/master/job/build-systemvm-master

Cheers.

Re: Share: SystemVM template for VMWare which has open-vm-tools

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Alright, both of them are uploaded:

SystemVM template for VMWare + open-vm-tools:
http://people.apache.org/~bhaisaab/cloudstack/systemvmtemplates/systemvmtemplate-openvmtools-vmware.ova

SystemVM template for VMWare + vmware-tools:
http://people.apache.org/~bhaisaab/cloudstack/systemvmtemplates/systemvmtemplate-vmwaretools-vmware.ova

Both of are based on/around rev a0b5ebc.

Cheers.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.