Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1998/01/27 04:38:23 UTC

IE4 HTTP/1.1 Chunking bug reincarnation?

Did somebody make a change last week which might have brought the IE4
HTTP.1.1 chunking bug back to life?  It looks like both mod_perl and
mod_php are now causing IE4 to spew that ugly "An error occurred in the
Internet extensions" error window.

You can see it if you run IE4 and point it at:

   http://www.php.net/bugs.php3

And then hit the "View Source" button in the top right corner of the page.

The ShowSource routine in PHP makes heavy use of putc calls which was the
reason for the problem last time.

-Rasmus

Re: IE4 HTTP/1.1 Chunking bug reincarnation?

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Damn you're good at finding chunking bugs.  I don't think this is the same
> as the last one... let me try to reproduce it locally.  Anything special
> I'll need other than just refreshing the php src/web snapshots I used to
> reproduce the problem last time?

Well, you'll also need a page that causes the problem.  The only way I
have been able to reproduce it this time is through the show_source()
function.

So, a script like:

<? show_source("bugs.php3"); ?>

Does the trick for me.  Any of the longer PHP3 scripts on the PHP web
pages causes the problem.  I am consistently getting it with the bugs.php3
script though.  You can get that script by using Netscape and going to
www.php.net/bugs.php3 and hitting the "View Source" button.  Or you can
fetch the entire "phpweb" cvs tree.

I don't think this is the same as the last one either.  The error message
in the error window doesn't have that HEX address in it this time.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Damn you're good at finding chunking bugs.  I don't think this is the same
as the last one... let me try to reproduce it locally.  Anything special
I'll need other than just refreshing the php src/web snapshots I used to
reproduce the problem last time?

Dean