Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Wolgemuth Greg <wo...@eseri.com> on 2010/10/01 03:45:56 UTC

QMFv2 status?

I've been looking through the wiki for details on QMFv2, and one thing I
can't seem to find is its status. Are there QMFv2 agent and console
libraries in a usable state, will they be in the next release, or are V2
implementations still "down the road"?

Thanks,

Greg

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QMFv2 status?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
On 09/30/2010 09:45 PM, Wolgemuth Greg wrote:
> I've been looking through the wiki for details on QMFv2, and one thing I
> can't seem to find is its status. Are there QMFv2 agent and console
> libraries in a usable state, will they be in the next release, or are V2
> implementations still "down the road"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Greg,

Thanks for your note.  The QMFv2 documentation desperately needs
updating.  The one wiki page that has been kept up-to-date is the
protocol page
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/QMF+Map+Message+Protocol).
Real documentation will go into the new DocBook content under SVN.

The status of the project is as follows:

The new QMFv2 implementation is committed on trunk at
qpid/cpp/{include,src}/qmf.  The "engine" subdirectory in that area will
be deprecated and is not used in QMFv2.  This implementation is written
in C++ and uses the same API pattern that is used in the new, ABI-stable
messaging interface (qpid/cpp/include/qpid/messaging).

The strategy for multi-language support for QMFv2 is to provide bindings
in other languages to the C++ implementation.  Bindings for Python and
Ruby can be found in qpid/cpp/bindings/qmf2.  There are two agent
examples in qpid/cpp/bindings/qmf2/examples.

A set of system tests (that run consoles and agents of various languages
against each other) has yet to be committed to SVN but is in
development.  The libraries are in a usable state, though not complete,
and it would be great if you were to try them out.  If you do, please be
encouraged to ask questions and provide feedback on this list and/or on
dev@qpid.apache.org.

Regards,

-Ted

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org