Posted to users@ace.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2015/04/06 23:28:13 UTC

Re: Best way to copy artifacts & features from one ACE server to another

Hello Philipp,

I overlooked this question completely, sorry for that!
On 10 Feb 2015 at 12:36:01, Bulu (bulu@romandie.com) wrote:

We have a testing and production server. Both run all-in-one ACE. The
test server gets all builds and is used for deploying to test targets.
The prod server should only receive release grade
artifacts/features/distributions.
Ok.

If testing was successful for a certain build on the test server, I
would like to transfer that one release to the prod server. That is:
copy the artifacts to the other OBR and recreate the features and
distribution.
What's the best way of doing this automatically?
There are two ways to approach this:

1) Let’s assume that the artifacts that go into your testing server come from some archive that is produced by your continuous build. If that is the case then one approach would be to somehow hang on to that and use it to feed the same data into your production server (if it passes all tests).

2) The other approach is to HTTP GET a specific version of the software from the testing server. I’m assuming it has a target that contains all the artifacts for testing. Effectively, you’re doing the same thing that a management agent would do. You end up with a deployment package containing all the artifacts. That package even contains some metadata about the features and distributions that were associated with the artifacts, so if you take it as a starting point you should be able to reconstruct all artifacts, features and distributions on your production server.

I think we might even have some code already in ACE to help you script #2, but I’m not 100% sure.

Greetings, Marcel