Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2010/09/21 17:55:11 UTC

ofbiz wiki(confluence)

So, I need some admin help with cwiki.apache.org, or at least advice.
  I've got a script that uses xmlrpc to confluence, and fetches all
renames, usernames, and commit messages.  I then take all this data
and convert it into a long series of git commits, with the files layed
out in a proper webslinger design.  The author of each git commit is
the person who changed the page, added a comment, or uploaded a new
attachment.

The issue I am having is the confluence installed on cwiki is old.
Newer versions support returning the PageHistorySummary.versionComment
thru the rpc; currently, I have to fall back and do a screen scrape of
the viewpreviousversions.action page.

Where should I ask for help on this, getting this new api implemented?

I also have suggestions to make the api more lightweight, when doing
incremental updates(which my system supports).

As a side note, there is a severe lack of version comments.  This
script ends up producing 3117 commits.  Some of those are page
renames/comments/attachments, which don't have a commit message.  Most
are page commits.  There are only 70 change messages.  It'd be nice if
people would comment when they change a page, but I don't see a way to
enforce that.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/09/2010 09:09, Adam Heath wrote:
> Now, if you were to combine *all* these hosts into one, and then try to
> run it, we might have an issue.  But, that's not what is currently
> happening.

Not sure what you mean here. www.a.o and every tlp.a.o site are served
from a single httpd instance (along with a handful of other virtual
hosts). Everything we require the cms to handle is currently handled by
a single httpd instance.

There are actually two machines. One in the EU and one in the US.
Normally we use geo-based load balancing but a single machine has to be
able to handle all of the traffic comfortably so we can do maintenance
on the other.

> And, with the 10M number you originally gave, that is 115req/s.  If that
> is for a single page, then our current software handles that fine.  If
> that is for 115 different pages at the same time, then I will have to
> get back to you, to try that test.  I don't have a program that can
> request 115 different pages at once.

That is across all virtual hosts so they will be different pages.
http://www.apache.org/server-status will give you a snapshot of current
load.

> Also, if the problem is with remote clients tying up a thread/connection
> slot, then that is a separate problem from the backend system.  The
> backend system should have a small thread pool, so that it can run fast,
> and then the frontend(either catalina itself, or apache/mod-jk) does the
> send using non-blocking-io.

The problem is that the systems we have tried before can't handle the load.

It sounds like you are using Tomcat under the covers. Whilst you will
maximise throughput when the threadpool size is roughly the same as the
number of cores on the machine, the overhead of having a few hundred
processing threads isn't that great. We would always front Tomcat with
httpd so an appropriate mod_proxy/mod_jk/Tomcat connector config can
ensure that we don't have to have one Tomcat thread per current
connection (since with keep-alive connections >> requests).

Mark

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
On 09/21/2010 05:45 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
> On 09/21/2010 05:15 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> I don't recall the breakdown, the 10M figure
>> counts total daily traffic. You could look
>> at Vadim's stats for more details- the bottom
>> line is that no app that doesn't support static
>> exports will function as a suitable CMS for
>> Apache, which is why we're rolling our own.
>
> Ok, I've looked. 10M seems to be *all* requests. That number doesn't
> scare me. I've got a site live right now, http://www.hailmerry.com/,
> that is reporting 190req/s with ab(from apache http) while on localhost.
> That's without any fancy supercache sitting in front. This site supports
> online live editting of content. Anonymous users have no session, and we
> make a point of reducing database access for hot-points.
>
> This is running on a single large shared iscsi disk host. The cpu node
> is an 8-way 2.33Ghz cpu, using xen, with the domU given 512M and a
> single cpu. The hosting framework is no where near what could be
> consider super-fast.
>
> The main feature, that I haven't mentioned before now, that helps with
> this, is a thing we have designed called TTLObject. It is designed to
> protect method calls, by saving their results, and returning old values
> for a certain amount of time. It is non-blocking, uses a state engine
> internally. It was overhauled to follow the design patterns in Java
> Concurrency in Practice.
>
> Again, I'm not afraid of those numbers. Our cms stuff(which isn't quite
> up to the same level of feature integration as confluence), stores most
> data as raw files(to allow svn/git tracking of history). The database is
> not used for most functions.

I'm still trying to  understand the distribution of load.  If my
understanding is wrong, then please tell me.  It'll give me a target
to strive for.  I've looked at more graphs at (1), and I see a
breakdown of page views per major sub-site(host).

Our current framework underwent a major rewrite 4 years ago, and it
was first deployed into a production state 3.5 years ago.  That
particular site did 3,500,000 total requests the day after it went
live, 500,000 page views.  There was no super-cache in front of it.
The version of the software at the time had a bug, where
If-Modified-Since processing didn't work, so all images were always
fetched by clients.  Our filesystem code has been rewritten, to be
non-blocking(no synchronized keywords), the cow/overlay feature has
had a second-order of speedups, plus other speed fixes.  If I
'flatten' the cow/overlay system, so it's not used, the system easily
approached 1000req/s(single page at a time).

So, I'm still not afraid of these numbers.

1: http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
> [...]

* Macros called by a template language can be implemented in *any*
webslinger resource(any type, any language).  Each integrated template
type has proxies implemented that allow it to call back into
webslinger macros.  velocity-> #Merge("/path/to/file",
"/template/to/wrap/it/with"), freemarker-> <@Merge
path="/path/to-file" template0="/template/to/wrap/it/with"/>.  Support
for macros with content bodies is fully supported as well.

* Support for one-type 'wrapper' of a text output, and then different
page styles.  Partial-ajax page updates can then skip this, and do
smart updates of regions of the browser.

The above list is an non-inclusive list of features in
webslinger-core.  It's really generic, and not tied to any particular
implementation.

The other major thing different about it, is that webslinger is
*itself* a servlet container, just like catalina or glashfish.

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

From: "Joe Schaefer" <jo...@yahoo.com>

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.
The url is here

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
> [...]
>> versions, and I have already fetched them, and the current page has a
>> version of 274, then I only really need to fetch 3 PageHistorySummary
>> records(to get the versionComment from newer versions of confluence).
>>
>> BlogEntrySummary doesn't include version, but BlogEntry does. And I
>> can't fetch old versions of blogs.

> Adam,
>
> There is currently a beginning effort to create a CMS for apache.org
> (infrastructure/trunk/projects/cms) is yours related to this effort?

No, it's not.  Based on how much time I've spent already(started my
imoprter last friday), and how familiar I am with ofbiz, it'd probably
take me a 2 months to get mostly feature compatible with
confluence(that's for a single person working in his spare time).

> Jacques
> PS: Not sure how to access to infrastructure/trunk/projects/cms/README

You mean it's not public?

Re: ofbiz wiki(confluence)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>