Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> on 2004/02/03 03:02:02 UTC

Re: Distribution of modified ANT script in my project (JNetStream)

Mark Bednarczyk wrote:
> Hi Bruce, my name is Mark Bednarczyk I have an OpenSource project on SourceForge JNetStream (http://jnetstream.sf.net). I would like
> to use a modified version of your ANT script in my project to execute my java applications. I have modified the original "ant"
> script for two applications of mine "slydecoder" and "slycopy". They do not use ANT or Apache name or any other components.

Hi, Mark. I'm ccing this reply to the Ant Developer's list, so that
someone can chime in if I get something wrong or if they have something
to add.

Keep in mind that IANAL and I don't speak for the Apache Software
Foundation, but I believe you should have no problem reusing the code as
far as the ASF is concerned provided you follow the requirements of the
license. The Free Software Foundation (as authors of the GPL) may be a
different story, though, because they don't consider the 1.1 version of
the Apache license to be compatible with the GPL. Fortunately for you,
we are adopting a new license, probably with the next release of Ant,
that one hopes even the FSF would say is compatible, though they have
yet to make a definitive statement so far as I know.

So a quick rundown of the scenarios. If you wanted to stick with version
1.1 of the Apache license on the script, you would be required to
include the license text somewhere within your script, as well as
including an attribution line somewhere in any end-user documentation
that you produced. Since the file is a script, I don't think the GPL
would taint it unless you wanted your changes to the script to
themselves be GPLed. I don't think the FSF would allow the GPL to apply
to that, though you should ask them if you want a definite answer on
that score.

If you want to go with the 2.0 version of the license, you should read
it over at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 and make sure you
can abide by the terms there. If you can, I can't imagine there would be
a problem with you using the script under those terms even though we
have yet to make a release with it. Keep in mind, though, that we have
no idea what objections the FSF might raise to the new license.

IMHO this bureaucratic attitude of the FSF is one of the reasons for
avoiding the GPL for open source projects, but that's me. Others would
argue that it is necessary to ensure software freedom.

I hope that helps.

Posted by Mark Bednarczyk <vo...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you Bruce for your assistance.

I will release the two scripts retaining the original Apache license to avoid the license conversion issues. I will probably convert
the Apache 2.0 license to GPL when that becomes available in some future release of mine.

I plan on releasing the JNetStream 0.2 software packages Saturday (tomorrow) to SF.net.
Release 0.2 will be downloadable form:

We're still doing final checks to make sure everything is complete.

This is my first time, having to really think about licenses and borrowing someone else's code. I hope I got this right and didn't
annoy anyone too much.

JNetStream is a small project by comparison to Apache projects, but it is gaining momentum. SF.net statistics show JNetStream
ranking 246 (out of 70K) with about 10 downloads a day now. And this is with my first release 0.1 which, although fully functional,
without wrapper scripts such as SlyDecoder and SlyCopy (based on ANT script), is very user unfriendly I must admit. 0.2 with a
little more forethought of the execution environment will make the user experience a lot more pleasant.

Cheers,
mark...