Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by vsolve apache <vs...@yahoo.com> on 1999/10/26 13:30:01 UTC

Re: general/5194: How ro set server / domain alias name

The following reply was made to PR general/5194; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: vsolve apache <vs...@yahoo.com>
To: dsrajan@cisco.com, apbugs@hyperreal.org
Cc: apbugs@Apache.Org
Subject: Re: general/5194: How ro set server / domain alias name
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:31:19 -0700 (PDT)

 Hi,

 To set the alias like  'bigdaddy' for 'localhostname',
 enter the following resource record in the
 Domain Name Server's named database file(which maps
 Host name to IP address).

 localhostname  IN A XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
 bigdaddy IN CNAME localhostname

 where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is IP address

 and restart the Domain Name Server. Now you can view
 web pages using alias name.

 Regards,
 visolve_apache

 Subject:
         general/5194: How ro set server / domain alias
 name
    Date:
         25 Oct 1999 20:31:09 -0000
    From:
         Dsiva Raja <ds...@cisco.com>
      To:
         apbugs@hyperreal.org

 >Number:         5194
 >Category:       general
 >Synopsis:       How ro set server / domain alias
 name
 >Confidential:   no
 >Severity:       non-critical
 After installation, changing 'ServerName
 localhostname.cisco.com' in httpd.conf
 file, I can start the server, view web pages using
 'http://localhostname.cisco.com/'
 That is good. I need to change that 'localhostname' to
 something like say
 'bigdaddy'. how and where do I set this alias

 Appreciate the input

 >How-To-Repeat:

 >Fix:

 >Audit-Trail:
 >Unformatted:
 [In order for any reply to be added to the PR
 database, you need]
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and
 make sure the]
 [subject line starts with the report component and
 number, with ]
 [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as
 "general/1098:" or      ]
 ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match
 this       ]
 [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.
 The       ]
 ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of
 messages from  ]
 [the database automatically because of the potential
 for mail   ]
 [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may
 be ig-   ]
 [nored unless you are responding to an explicit
 request from a  ]
 [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND
 ATTACHMENTS!     ]

 =====