Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/11 00:46:24 UTC

ASF board report draft for August

Hi all,

Our quarterly project board report needs to be submitted on August 12th, and I wanted to include anything notable going on that we want to appear in the board archive. Here is my draft below; let me know if you have suggested changes.

Apache Spark is a fast and general engine for large-scale data processing. It offers high-level APIs in Java, Scala, Python, R and SQL as well as a rich set of libraries including stream processing, machine learning, and graph analytics.

Project status:

- We released Apache Spark 3.0.0 on June 18th, 2020. This was our largest release yet, containing over 3400 patches from the community, including significant improvements to SQL performance, ANSI SQL compatibility, Python APIs, SparkR performance, error reporting and monitoring tools. This release also enhances Spark’s job scheduler to support adaptive execution (changing query plans at runtime to reduce the need for configuration) and workloads that need hardware accelerators.

- We released Apache Spark 2.4.6 on June 5th, 2020 with bug fixes to the 2.4 line.

- The community is working on 3.0.1 and 2.4.7 releases with bug fixes to these two branches.

- We had a discussion on the dev list about clarifying our process for handling -1 votes on patches, which will go into updated guidelines on our website.

- We added three committers to the project since the last report: Huaxin Gao, Jungtaek Lim and Dilip Biswal.

Trademarks:

- We engaged with two companies that had created products with “Spark” in the name to ask them to follow our trademark guidelines.

Latest releases:

- Spark 3.0.0 was released on June 18th, 2020.
- Spark 2.4.6 was released on June 5th, 2020.
- Spark 2.4.5 was released on Feb 8th, 2020.

Committers and PMC:

- The latest PMC member was added on Sept 4th, 2019 (Dongjoon Hyun).
- The latest committers were added on July 14th, 2020 (Huaxin Gao, Jungtaek Lim and Dilip Biswal).