Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/13 14:56:07 UTC

Detecting spurious characters (was: svn commit: r1840762 - /jmeter/trunk/src/core/org/apache/jmeter/JMeter.java)

On 13 September 2018 at 11:20, Felix Schumacher
<fe...@internetallee.de> wrote:

> Am 13. September 2018 12:11:31 MESZ schrieb sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>>Maybe we need to occasionally scan source files for non-ASCII
>>characters?
>
> I thought so, too.
>
> In vim one can use listchars to highlight different whitespace characters. Will add 'nbsp' to my local vim setup.

In GNU grep one can use the following to show the lines

grep --color=auto -r -P -n -I '[\x80-\xFF]' src/

This does not work on macOS as that does not support -P; I had to use
ggrep (homebrew);
unfortunately that does no appear to want to highlight spaces.

Almost all the problem lines I found relate to logging, which suggests
a common cause (possibly copy-paste)

I'll see if I can fix those.

S.