Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2015/01/26 07:05:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

As inidcated last week, here is the first RC for Compress 1.10.

Compress 1.10 RC1 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/
    (svn revision 7828)

Maven artifacts are here:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1080/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.10/

Details of changes since 1.9 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC1/changes-report.html

The tag is here:
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.10-RC1
    (svn revision 1654723)

Site:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC1/

Clirr Report (compared to 1.9):
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC1/clirr-report.html

RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/compress-1.10-RC1/rat-report.html

KEYS:
  https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after
  0600 GMT 29-January 2015

[ ] +1 Release these artifacts
[ ] +0 OK, but...
[ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
[ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thanks!

        Stefan

[CANCEL][VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-01-27, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Kristian Rosenvold <
> kristian.rosenvold@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've run through all of our tests and the release looks good.

>> The testcase should fail 1 in 1000 times as is and has been fixed.

>> I'm +1 on the release as such (but we'd normally recut or leave this
>> decision to the RM....).

> I'd prefer a clean RC to give a positive vote. So I'll abstain for now.

I'll roll another RC on Friday (I'm travelling and haven't got access to
my GPG keyring right now).  I'll also address the website issue Gary
mentioned (except for the changes report, my process is different, I
re-create the site once the release is through ;-).

IIRC the "unused private method" warnings are all false positives we've
been seeing since the plugin got upgraded.

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org>.

> I'd prefer a clean RC to give a positive vote. So I'll abstain for now.

That seems to be the norm :)

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Kristian Rosenvold <
kristian.rosenvold@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've run through all of our tests and the release looks good.
>
> The testcase should fail 1 in 1000 times as is and has been fixed.
>
> I'm +1 on the release as such (but we'd normally recut or leave this
> decision to the RM....).

I'd prefer a clean RC to give a positive vote. So I'll abstain for now.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Done in r1654980.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org>.
Testcase fixed in r1654901

Kristian

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for preparing this RC Stefan.

Using with src zip from binary dist folder:

MD5 OK.
ASC OK.

Tests:

Running: 'mvn clean site' gave me

Failed tests:
  ZipTestCase.testCopyRawZip64EntryFromFile:361->assertSameFileContents:414
arrays first differed at element [10]; expected:<-16> but was:<-15>

The HEAD of trunk passes this test in Eclipse (Java 7).

Running 'mvn test' solo was OK.

Running 'mvn clean test' again was OK.

Running 'mvn clean site' again was OK.

Can anyone shed some light on this 'random' error? My PC might have been
super busy at the time.

I am on:

Apache Maven 3.2.5 (12a6b3acb947671f09b81f49094c53f426d8cea1;
2014-12-14T12:29:23-05:00)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.2.5
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_75\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Site:

Typo: What's new in 1.10? "the old" -> "The old".

Changes report says "Release 1.10 – not released, yet". I like to use the
RC date here so you do not have to change the site post vote. But that's
just my process...

Other reports look good. Clirr shows expected errors due to internal
package name change.

Should be fixed, not a blocker: PMDs for "Avoid unused private methods".

Abstaining for now until RM addresses 'random' test failure.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 January 2015 at 17:34, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 30/01/2015 17:48, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>
>> Well, we cannot break BC in a minor release for a public class.  Are we
>> sure BC breaks?
>>
>> If we want to make this internal package public, it needs to be copied to
>> the new location, not moved. Then ZCompressorInputStream would still extend
>> the internal package.
>
> I thought there was a consensus to allow breaking public classes clearly
> identified as internal such as this one. The Javadoc clearly state:
>
> "This class is only public for technical reasons and is not part of
> Commons Compress' published API - it may change or disappear without
> warning."
>
> And now we can't change it? Sorry but if someone used it this isn't our
> problem, he has been warned and will have to fix his code.

That is not the issue; the issue is that the internal class was part
of the hierarchy of a public class.

See elsethread.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 January 2015 at 16:48, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

>> restoring

>> > Note that Clirr does not distinguish binary and source compatibility.
>> > Breaking binary compatibility is almost never a good idea.
>> > However source compatibility may be less important in some cases.
>>
>> > Which incompatibility is it?
>>
>> The superclass of ZCompressorInputStream has changed from one we've
>> removed with the old __internal__ package to a new one in the now
>> supported lzw package.
>>

> Well, we cannot break BC in a minor release for a public class.  Are we
> sure BC breaks?
>
> If we want to make this internal package public, it needs to be copied to
> the new location, not moved. Then ZCompressorInputStream would still extend
> the internal package.

Not necessarily - that needs to be checked.

Clearly if an accessible method or field has been dropped, or changed,
then it won't be BC.

But if the class or its superclasses still provides the original
protected and public methods and members, it may still be BC.

The JLS [1] has this to say:

"Changing the direct superclass or the set of direct superinterfaces
of a class type will not break compatibility with pre-existing
binaries, provided that the total set of superclasses or
superinterfaces, respectively, of the class type loses no members. "

Given that the original super-class was internal, there is no need to
allow for any direct references to it, e.g. in "instanceof" (which I
imagine would fail BC).

[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-13.html#jls-13.4.4

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201502.mbox/%3C87oapdqxa0.fsf%40v35516.1blu.de%3E

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Stefan,

> On 2015-01-30, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:06 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> The superclass of ZCompressorInputStream has changed from one we've
> >> removed with the old __internal__ package to a new one in the now
> >> supported lzw package.
>
> > Well, we cannot break BC in a minor release for a public class.  Are
> > we sure BC breaks?
>
> Well, not as much as my intuition had told me:

>         try (InputStream in = new FileInputStream(args[0]);
>              OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(args[1]);
>              ZCompressorInputStream zin = new ZCompressorInputStream(in) {
>                  @Override
>                  public void close() throws IOException {
>                      System.err.println("closing with code size " +
> codeSize);
>                      setClearCode(12);
>                      super.close();
>                  }
>              }) {
>              IOUtils.copy(zin, out);
>          }
>     }
>
> accesses a protected field and a protected method of
> InternalLZWInputStream when compiled against 1.9, a class that is no
> longer there in 1.10.  When run against trunk (without recompiling) it
> still works.  This is in line with something I once read up in the JLS
> (oh my, nine years ago, time flies)[1].  The compiler says "call the
> protected setClearCode method taking an int arg" and at runtime it
> starts searching for that method with the most derived class.  So
> changing superclasses doesn't seem to affect things.
>
> Of course we will break someting like
>
>     InternalLZWInputStream s = new ZCompressorInputStream(in)
>
> but then again you'd have used a class that we had explicitly marked as
> internal.
>
> Unless anybody comes up with a case where the change in superclass
> causes a problem, I'd say we are fine.

thank you for the research!

What will happen if a client has overwritten a method from
InternalLZWInputStream?

        try (InputStream in = new FileInputStream(args[0]);
             OutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(args[1]);
             ZCompressorInputStream zin = new ZCompressorInputStream(in) {
                 @Override
                 public void setClearCode(int code) throws IOException {
                     // reinvent the wheel here...
                 }
             }) {
             IOUtils.copy(zin, out);
         }
    }

My gut feeling tells me this will work as well, but we better double check
to avoid jar hell :-)

Benedikt

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
> Hello Stefan,
>
> - I've build this RC with Maven 3.2.5 and Java 6, 7, 8 and 9 EA. Java 6, 7
> and 8 work fine (although the site can not be build with Java 8 due to
> doclint). Java 9 fails, because it does not support target option 1.5.

I just fixed the site for jdk8 (again). There'd almost have to be a CI
JDK8 site build if the project is to live with doclint enabled.

Or, of course, just disable the stuff.

Kristian

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.10 Based on RC1

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Stefan,

- I've build this RC with Maven 3.2.5 and Java 6, 7, 8 and 9 EA. Java 6, 7
and 8 work fine (although the site can not be build with Java 8 due to
doclint). Java 9 fails, because it does not support target option 1.5.
- Signs and hashes look good.
- Site looks good

Here are a few things I've observed:

- PROPOSAL.txt is not in the src archives. Should it be?
- there is a typo in the release notes. The first line says "Apache Apache
Commons Compress"
- will clients who extended ZCompressorInputStream be affected by the
change in it's superclass hierarchy? In other words, is the change to
ZCompressorInputStream reported by clirr binary compatible with 1.9?

The last one would be a blocker for me. It could be resolved by restoring
the _internal_ package and deprecate it right away.

regards,
Benedikt