Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/26 19:44:45 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Stanbol 0.9.0-incubating RC5

Hi,

This is the fifth candidate to release Apache Stanbol 0.9.0-incubating.

Please vote for releasing
Apache Stanbol 0.9.0-incubating RC5

The release is available for download at:
http://people.apache.org/~fchrist/apache-stanbol-0.9.0-incubating-RC5/

Keys are at:
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/stanbol/KEYS

Release tag is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/tags/0.9.0-incubating

This release covers 399 resolved issues marked in JIRA as fixed for
0.9.0-incubating.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12319391

Compared to the RC4 the RC5 fixes the following issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-548 (license issue)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-549 (license issue)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-550 (license issue)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-551 (bug fix)

This vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Stanbol 0.9.0-incubating RC5

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

after carefully reading the ASF docs and following discussions on the
general list, I have revised the NOTICE and LICENSE file for the
0.9.0-incubating release.

According to [1,2] we have misused the NOTICE file in RC5 because it
should only contain notices that are required by licenses of artifacts
that we include. The classical example is a required notice if you
include an artifact that has the 4-clause BSD license. In our case, I
don't see that we have to add any notice.

[1] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201203.mbox/%3CCAAS6%3D7gKtfcGh0_Yd9Qrxp2a1M6HtPaZMqiTq5tQHC0BDVZwEA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

So I will move the content of our NOTICE files to the LICENSE files as
I think that's the place they belong. The LICENSE file should mention
the licenses of included artifacts. In our case this is the case for
included JavaScript libs for example.

The DEPENDENCIES-BY-LICENSE file is our documentation for used third
party deps during build. These deps are not part of the release tar
ball itself. Therefore, this information is not part of NOTICE or
LICENSE files of the source release. The AL20 license does not require
to have any file that documents build dependencies. So the
DEPENDENCIES-BY-LICENSE file is merely for the project to internally
ensure to not have incompatible dependencies.

- Fabian

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

--