Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Denis Bucher <db...@horus.ch> on 2002/01/01 16:17:41 UTC

Help ! TCP stream kept open by mod_perl : possible ?

Hello !

I have a project with Apache mod_perl and I don't know it
it is able to do it. I am of course beginner and any help is
welcomed :-))

I want to do a simple webmail, where the program on the server side
KEEP a TCP stream permamently open to the mail server (POP3) for
each user/customer while he's using the webmail. (Closed after
timeout or at logoff)

Is this possible ? Thanks for any suggestion !

And happy new year 2002 to everyone !

Denis Bucher

P.S. More details and examples :

My webmail could be used like that :

At login :
- open TCP stream to "pop3.horus.ch"
- "USER/PASS"
- reading emails info (that would be put into an array)
- nothing more

http://.../webmail.pl?showmails;start=1;end=20
- display all mails between 1 and 20 based on array

http://.../webmail.pl?deletemail;uidl=hkjdfhskjh43879
- send "DELE 34" on the TCP stream

This is easily possible with Java Servlets. If it isn't with
perl, it means that mod_perl isn't as powerful.

--

Denis Bucher,   /  info@horus.ch       Tél. +41-32-7254111   \  Internet
Horus Networks /  www.horus.info        Fax: +41-32-7254112   \  Services

Re: Help ! TCP stream kept open by mod_perl : possible ?

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Denis Bucher wrote:

> I have a project with Apache mod_perl and I don't know it
> it is able to do it.

It is able.

http://perl.apache.org/guide

> I want to do a simple webmail,

Have you checked out the various packages on CPAN?

73,
Ged.