Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by vdven <vd...@tele2.nl> on 2014/10/20 09:47:47 UTC

finding content in cells

Hello,

It has been brought to my attention that i did not post my question
the way it should be done. I am sorry if i caused any confusion or
worse. I am new to this, so i hope i do it right this time.

My question is about searching for a situation where in two
columns  in the same row the same information appears, and then
putting this information in another column, but in a different row.

-I have a column with names A , and then several columns (B-F) with
formula's that result in an empty cell  or  the name in A.
-On another page I want columns (H-L) that give only those situations
when a name in A is also found  in B-F, but i do not want all the empty cells.

So if for example in a1 and in b1 the name john appears, and in a5
and b5  the name susan. I want in  h1 john and in h2 susan

So a long list with only a few names and many blancs is reduced to a
short list of lets say 3 or 4 names

Any way how this can be done?

Thx

bryan

Re: finding content in cells

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM, johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 07:47:47 -0000, vdven <vd...@tele2.nl> wrote:
>
>  My question is about searching for a situation where in two
>> columns  in the same row the same information appears, and then
>> putting this information in another column, but in a different row.
>>
>> So a long list with only a few names and many blancs is reduced to a
>> short list of lets say 3 or 4 names
>>

> see the attached spreadsheet for an example.

... and what do you need to do with the result? I ask because it seems you
are able to produce the result you seek in column G but that apparently
doesn't meet your need.

A note about your column E formula, you may want to consider
=IF(OR(A2=B2;A2=C2;A2=D2);A2;"") instead of the nested ifs being used. I
find this alternative easier to decipher than the nested if.

As for producing a short list that displays only names will filtering
column D meet your need?

If so select column D (you may wish to add a label in D1) and then choose
the menu option "Data | Filter | AutoFilter". After doing this there will
be a button in the right hand edge of cell D1. Click that button and select
the "Standard Filter" option. Then set the filter to "<>" and leave the
Value box empty. Click OK and now only the rows that contain a name in
column D are displayed.

Re: finding content in cells

Posted by johnny smith <ka...@krovatka.su>.