Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr> on 2001/11/02 15:30:56 UTC

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Ainsi parlait Kasper Nielsen :
> > > so this is an US export law issue and not a Sun License issue?
> >
> > I think so. It would be possible to distribute it but it would take a lot
>
> of
>
> > work to get all paper work done and I think there was other conditions
> > (ie must be us citizen, must get the connections from embargoed countries
>
> blocked
>
> > etc)
>
> thats strange on http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/index-102.html they have
> a link to
>
> Download JSSE 1.0.2 global software and documentation with support for
> strong encryption.
>
> and a Download JSSE 1.0.2 domestic (US/Canada) software and documentation
> with support for strong encryption
>
> Don't know what the difference is, but I would imagine its legal to
> distribute something that is allready allowed to be globally distributed?
Sofar no one answered this mail... Does US crytopgraphy export restrictions
apply to both version of JSSE, or only to domestic version ? And do these
restictions apply everywhere, or only for US-based download location ?

Said otherwise, can jpackage project (jpackage.sourceforge.net) provide JSSE
global version packages, as any other Sun java API packages, eventually only
on non-US mirrors, or is it a special case ?
--
Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 01:30, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Sofar no one answered this mail... Does US crytopgraphy export restrictions
> apply to both version of JSSE, or only to domestic version ? And do these
> restictions apply everywhere, or only for US-based download location ?

the restrictions apply if the distributor is US based or site is in US. In
your case I assume sourceforge is US based so unless you have all the proper
paperwork I doubt they will be able to distribute - even on non-US mirrors.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Ainsi parlait Kasper Nielsen :
> > >
> > > I think so. It would be possible to distribute it but it would take a lot
> >
> > of
> >
> > > work to get all paper work done and I think there was other conditions
> > > (ie must be us citizen, must get the connections from embargoed countries
> >
> > blocked
> >
> > > etc)
> >
> > thats strange on http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/index-102.html they have
> > a link to
> >
> > Download JSSE 1.0.2 global software and documentation with support for
> > strong encryption.
> >
> > and a Download JSSE 1.0.2 domestic (US/Canada) software and documentation
> > with support for strong encryption
> >
> > Don't know what the difference is, but I would imagine its legal to
> > distribute something that is allready allowed to be globally distributed?
> Sofar no one answered this mail... Does US crytopgraphy export restrictions
> apply to both version of JSSE, or only to domestic version ? And do these
> restictions apply everywhere, or only for US-based download location ?

The latest version of JSSE complies with US restrictions for most countries.
However, US export law forbids ANY type of encryption to certain countries
(mostly known for supporting or allowing terrorist activity).

> Said otherwise, can jpackage project (jpackage.sourceforge.net) provide JSSE
> global version packages, as any other Sun java API packages, eventually only
> on non-US mirrors, or is it a special case ?

It is a special case, as certain countries are not allowed to get ANY type
of US encryption technologies.

> --
> Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
> GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html

"Those who would trade liberty for
 temporary security deserve neither"
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Distributing the JSSE

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:30:56 +0100
> From: Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
> To: general@jakarta.apache.org
> Cc: jpackage-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: Distributing the JSSE
>
> Ainsi parlait Kasper Nielsen :
> > >
> > > I think so. It would be possible to distribute it but it would take a lot
> >
> > of
> >
> > > work to get all paper work done and I think there was other conditions
> > > (ie must be us citizen, must get the connections from embargoed countries
> >
> > blocked
> >
> > > etc)
> >
> > thats strange on http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/index-102.html they have
> > a link to
> >
> > Download JSSE 1.0.2 global software and documentation with support for
> > strong encryption.
> >
> > and a Download JSSE 1.0.2 domestic (US/Canada) software and documentation
> > with support for strong encryption
> >
> > Don't know what the difference is, but I would imagine its legal to
> > distribute something that is allready allowed to be globally distributed?
> Sofar no one answered this mail... Does US crytopgraphy export restrictions
> apply to both version of JSSE, or only to domestic version ? And do these
> restictions apply everywhere, or only for US-based download location ?
>
> Said otherwise, can jpackage project (jpackage.sourceforge.net) provide JSSE
> global version packages, as any other Sun java API packages, eventually only
> on non-US mirrors, or is it a special case ?

Crypto is different because of US export laws.  The Sun redistribution
licenses for JSSE have the same basic terms as the redistribution licenses
for the other Java APIs (see the license you had to click through to
download it for details.)

> --
> Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
> GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html