Posted to derby-commits@db.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/09/23 07:16:58 UTC

[Db-derby Wiki] Update of "ModuleVersioningGuidelinesReviewDjd1" by JeremyBoynes

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Db-derby Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JeremyBoynes:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/ModuleVersioningGuidelinesReviewDjd1

  In terms of the conditional calling of a method that may or may not exist in the class, I'd like to make sure that you can actually do this without getting an error.  Craig Russell was telling me he wasn't sure whether you could have code blocks that call non-existent methods even if the actual method call is never hit due to conditional logic.  I'm going to do some testing to see how that pans out.

+ ----
+
+ JNB: You learn something every day - I thought the constants were resolved at link time but they are added to the constant pool. This would mean that internalized Strings could also be used which would compare as quickly as ints but have more meaning to the user.
+
+ To answer Craig's concern, I believe you can. Strictly, you don't need the check at all, you just get a !NoSuchMethodError if you try to invoke a method that does not exist (which you could catch and ignore but I think that's ugly).
+