Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2017/05/02 15:50:37 UTC

Authorization for policy downloads

Hi all,

A quick question for something that is puzzling me. I can download policies
from then Admin service with no credentials like e.g.:

curl -v http://localhost:6080/service/plugins/policies/download/cl1_hadoop

However, when my kerberized HDFS plugin tries to pull policies down (as the
"hdfs" user), I get an authorization error that the user is not allowed to
download the policies. I have to edit the "cl1_hadoop" configuration and
add the "hdfs" user to the "policy.download.auth.users" property.

Why is this step necessary when I can just download the policies with no
credentials with curl? Are we looking at a security issue here?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Authorization for policy downloads

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Thanks Vel. Shouldn't we make sure that "/service/plugins/policies" can't
be invoked unless two way SSL is in place?

Colm.