Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Yongqiao Wang <gr...@foxmail.com> on 2015/12/18 09:04:37 UTC

Design for dynamic weights in Mesos

Hi guys,

Mesos currently uses a static list of weights, specified when the master is started (via the --weights flag). and it requires that all the masters be rebooted to change the weights as resource allocation priority changes (e.g., a new high-priority framework installed with a new role, cluster operator needs to set a bigger value for the weight of this new role), it is inflexible, so I give a proposal for supporting dynamic weights at runtime, you can find the design doc here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCFfrBd4edSY3bVCMrNJYMxIVllD0bHJuGmgG-4vCXA/edit?usp=sharing

It proposes to add a new endpoint /weight to update/show weights of roles with the authorized principles, and the non-default weights will be persisted in registry. If you are interested in this topic, please take a look and comment on that.

------------------
Regards!
Grady YQ. Wang(王勇桥)
Software Engineer Of IBM Platform Computing
E-mail: yqwyq@cn.ibm.com
WeChat ID: gradyYQwang
Address: 3/F,No.42 GAO XIN LIU ROAD,Xian,Shanxi 710075 China
If you can control yourself, then you can control everything.

Re: Design for dynamic weights in Mesos

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1

> Hi guys,
>

> Mesos currently uses a static list of weights, specified when the master
> is started (via the --weights flag). and it requires that all the masters
> be rebooted to change the weights as resource allocation priority changes
> (e.g., a new high-priority framework installed with a new role, cluster
> operator needs to set a bigger value for the weight of this new role), it
> is inflexible, so I give a proposal for supporting dynamic weights at
> runtime, you can find the design doc here:
>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCFfrBd4edSY3bVCMrNJYMxIVllD0bHJuGmgG-4vCXA/edit?usp=sharing
>

> It proposes to add a new endpoint /weight to update/show weights of roles
> with the authorized principles, and the non-default weights will be
> persisted in registry. If you are interested in this topic, please take a
> look and comment on that.
>

> ------------------
> Regards!
> Grady YQ. Wang(王勇桥)
> Software Engineer Of IBM Platform Computing
> E-mail: yqwyq@cn.ibm.com
> WeChat ID: gradyYQwang
> Address: 3/F,No.42 GAO XIN LIU ROAD,Xian,Shanxi 710075 China
> If you can control yourself, then you can control everything.

Deshi Xiao
Twitter: xds2000
E-mail: xiaods(AT)gmail.com