Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2002/06/06 16:20:21 UTC

ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

HEllo,

when I want to configure the same virtual host on ipv6 and ipv4 address, do
I need two <virtualHost> sections, right?

well, I'd like to avoid this, maybe the same with virtualhosts on http/https
ports, but I think this cannot be done now. Am I right?
--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Enter any 12-digit prime number to continue.

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:
> _reverse_ DNS lookup ?

Sorry.  I meant forward.

> well it seems i need to check it. If anyone will, I'd like to know the
> results.
>
> I would like to create some virtualhosts, on ipv4 and ipv6, sometimes with
> ssl, and I would like to avoid defining one virtualhost for each
> address/port combination. That's why I am asking.

And I already gave you two good suggestions: explicitly list the two IP
addresses, or use "*".  Playing around with hostnames is dangerous.

Joshua.

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
-> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:
->
-> > -> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:
-> > -> > what if I put there hostname that maps to more addresses? (ipv4 or ipv6)?
-> > ->
-> > -> It should work, but you'll be screwed if you ever restart your server when
-> > -> DNS is unavailable.
-> >
-> > I am talking about hosts, not just because of this reason.
->
-> I'm not sure what you are saying here.  But rereading the original
-> question, if you are asking "can a single hostname mapping to both an ipv4
-> and ipv6 address be used", then the answer is probably no.  Apache will
-> only use a single IP address returned from a reverse DNS lookup.

_reverse_ DNS lookup ?

well it seems i need to check it. If anyone will, I'd like to know the
results.

I would like to create some virtualhosts, on ipv4 and ipv6, sometimes with
ssl, and I would like to avoid defining one virtualhost for each
address/port combination. That's why I am asking.
--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
-> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:
-> > what if I put there hostname that maps to more addresses? (ipv4 or ipv6)?
->
-> It should work, but you'll be screwed if you ever restart your server when
-> DNS is unavailable.

I am talking about hosts, not just because of this reason.

-> > -> (I haven't actually tried this stuff, since I don't use IPv6, but it
-> > -> should work.  If it doesn't, you should file a bug report.)
-> >
-> > Good, can I use the same thing to create ssl/non-ssl vhosts?
-> >
-> > like <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80 1.2.3.4:443>
->
-> Yes, that should work.

Great, I'll try it after upgrading apache.
btw how does apache detect that it should use ssl on port 443 ?
haven't seen any configuration option about this.

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 LSD will make your ECS screen display 16.7 million colors

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by "Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar" <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
-> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Matus "fantomas" Uhlar wrote:
-> > when I want to configure the same virtual host on ipv6 and ipv4 address, do
-> > I need two <virtualHost> sections, right?
->
-> No.  <VirtualHost> containers can take multiple IP addresses, as in
-> <VirtualHost 10.1.2.3 [fe80::a00::20ff:fea7:ccea]>
-> If you are doing strict name-virtual hosting, you should also be able to
-> use <VirtualHost *> to get everything.

I am so strict that I do not use * ;-)

what if I put there hostname that maps to more addresses? (ipv4 or ipv6)?

-> (I haven't actually tried this stuff, since I don't use IPv6, but it
-> should work.  If it doesn't, you should file a bug report.)

Good, can I use the same thing to create ssl/non-ssl vhosts?

like <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80 1.2.3.4:443>

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.

Re: ipv4 & ipv6 vhosting

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.