Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by OOMS DIRK <Ex...@siemens.be> on 2005/02/16 17:17:01 UTC

using properties inside log4j configs

Hello,

I would like to have several processes use the same log4j.xml, but that e.g.
the name of the log file to which they output is slightly different. I tried
to achieve this by putting a System Property "processName" into the
description of a FileAppender in log4j.xml

<param name="FileNamePattern"
value="/var/log/${processName}-log.%d{yyyy-MM}.gz"/>

I also tried to set an MDC value "processName" and do (in analogy to the %d)
<param name="FileNamePattern"
value="/var/log/%X{processName}-log.%d{yyyy-MM}.gz"/>

But none of this seems to work/be supported.

Do people have any other suggestion to fulfil my requirement?

Cheers,
dirk

Re: using properties inside log4j configs

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
When you say "several processes", do you mean separate VM's?  If so, then
providing a system propery before configuration should work just fine in your
case.  Please clarify.

Jake

Posted by Sushil Sureka <su...@gmail.com>.
Actually I am using the system property and it works for me. Also I am
using the same syntax ${<<property name>>} as you do. Are you sure
your property is set? Also turning on the log4j debug flag might help.

Sushil

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:17:01 +0100, OOMS DIRK <Ex...@siemens.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have several processes use the same log4j.xml, but that e.g.
> the name of the log file to which they output is slightly different. I tried
> to achieve this by putting a System Property "processName" into the
> description of a FileAppender in log4j.xml
>
> <param name="FileNamePattern"
> value="/var/log/${processName}-log.%d{yyyy-MM}.gz"/>
>
> I also tried to set an MDC value "processName" and do (in analogy to the %d)
> <param name="FileNamePattern"
> value="/var/log/%X{processName}-log.%d{yyyy-MM}.gz"/>
>
> But none of this seems to work/be supported.
>
> Do people have any other suggestion to fulfil my requirement?
>
> Cheers,
> dirk

Thanks
Sushil