Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Lou DeGenaro <lo...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/22 14:25:52 UTC

single instance failover

We use a single instance of Cassandra on Node A that employs a shared file
system to keep its data and logs.

Let's say we want to fail-over to Node B, by editing the yaml file by
changing Node A to Node B.  If we now (mistakenly) bring up Cassandra on
Node B whilst the Cassandra on Node A is still running, there would be
potential database corruption, no?

Is there any guidance on single instance failover?

Thanks.

Lou.

Re: single instance failover

Posted by Vladimir Yudovin <vl...@winguzone.com>.
Hi Lou,

do you mean you set  rpc_address (or broadcast_rpc_address) to Node_B_IP on second machine?

&gt;there would be potential database corruption, no?

Well, so SSTables are immutable, it can lead to unpredictable behavior, I guess. I don't believe anybody tested such setup before.

&gt;Is there any guidance on single instance failover?

I never saw one, the main Casandra idea that you build multinode cluster.

Any specific reason why can't you use two nodes as single cluster?

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Cloud Cassandra Hosting, zero production time.

---- On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:25:52 -0500Lou DeGenaro &lt;lou.degenaro@gmail.com&gt; wrote ----