Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by acacio costa <ac...@yahoo.com.br> on 2009/02/18 20:32:46 UTC

Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization

Hi,

Does anyone use Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization?

i apreciate to know if you have issues and a tips to go on.

Other things to know, Performance comparative with a real server? as the same? better?
What the parameters you perceive as better than other environment and what cause as you move Tom Cat to VM.

Thanks in advance,

Acacio Costa

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

RE: [OT] Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
not a VMWare expert but I found there is a significant boost in Networking connectivity with NAT over Host only ..(please email offline as this is O/T for Tomcat..)

Thanks
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization

Posted by Jason Viloria <jn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM, János Löbb <ja...@yale.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Alan Chaney wrote:
>

>> I agree with Jorge - I run several Tomcats under VMware for both
>> production and development.
>>
>> However it is worth noting that if you use the appropriate vmware tools
>> for your installation (vmware-guestd etc.) you get a significant performance
>> boost on network accesses which may well be important for tomcat. (See
>> vmxnet) YMMV.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Alan Chaney

I admin a fairly large deployment of tomcats on vmware server and now have
started to move to xen as well and the only thing i can say is that if your
application is IO intensive then you might notice slower performance
vmware/xen unless you use block devices.

For anything else, if you provision your VM with the same specs as a
physical machine that you will compare it to then you should hardly notice
any difference at all.

/Jason

Re: Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization

Posted by János Löbb <ja...@yale.edu>.
On Feb 18, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Alan Chaney wrote:

> I agree with Jorge - I run several Tomcats under VMware for both
> production and development.
>
> However it is worth noting that if you use the appropriate vmware
> tools for your installation (vmware-guestd etc.) you get a
> significant performance boost on network accesses which may well be
> important for tomcat. (See vmxnet) YMMV.
>
> Regards
>
> Alan Chaney
>

> Jorge Medina wrote:
>> There are no issues on running Tomcat in a VM. Tomcat is unaware of
>> where it is running.
>> Performance depends on the host running your VM. If you compare a
>> VM running application A on host H compared to application A
>> running directly on host H, you will notice that running on the
>> real server is faster. This is true for any application, not just
>> Tomcat. -----Original Message-----
>> From: acacio costa [mailto:acaciofcosta@yahoo.com.br] Sent:
>> Wednesday, February 18, 2009 2:33 PM
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> Subject: Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization
>> Hi,
>> Does anyone use Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat
>> Virtualization?
>> i apreciate to know if you have issues and a tips to go on.
>> Other things to know, Performance comparative with a real server?
>> as the same? better? What the parameters you perceive as better
>> than other environment and what cause as you move Tom Cat to VM.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Acacio Costa
>>      Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! +Buscados http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

I would add only that You - OP - might want to have a "Bridged"
network connection in the VM.  I have VmWare Fusion on my Mac and as
soon as I bridged it things got much better, network wise.

János

Re: Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization

Posted by Alan Chaney <al...@compulsivecreative.com>.

Posted by Jorge Medina <jm...@e-dialog.com>.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:32 AM, acacio costa
<ac...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Does anyone use Apache Tom Cat in a VM as VMWARE or Red Hat Virtualization?

FYI, it's "Tomcat".

> i apreciate to know if you have issues and a tips to go on.

I've run Tomcat under VMware for testing purposes. No issues, it's
no different than running it on a different host.

FWIW,