Posted to docs@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/01/07 12:06:47 UTC

Wiki RSS change notifications

Hello,

would anyone object against little notification mails being send to this
list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few samples.

Regards,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 24 January 2003 03:35, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
> > [2] read that as in: I abused the Python language into...
>
> even better, python is sweet.

Python doesn't BITE, it squeezes the breath out of you ;o)

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to
>>> this list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few
>>> samples.
>>

>> +1 if it's possible to attach a diff.
>>
>> Otherwise, this doesn't give much more information than the recent
>> changes page.
>>
>> Sylvain
>>

> OK. In the mean time, I bought all these Python books, and ventured into
> my first real program [1]. Being unhappy with all this RSS2email stuff,
> and due to HEP's slow progress (and it being to large to wrap my peanut
> brain around it to help it move forward anythig faster), I wrote [2] a
> little application which goes fetching the recent changes across XMLRPC
> from the Wiki, diffs when possible, and sends the result as an email.
> All wrapped in a crontab script. It sounds much more glorious than it
> is, really.
>
> Given the fact I can now really control what it does, suggestions w.r.t.
> mail headers are very much welcome. The script runs hourly (if all goes
> well ;-)

Great!

> Thanks for the challenge, Sylvain!
>
> </Steven>
>
> [1] to put on someone's tombstone: this community got Steven into actual
> programming

uhuh, awesome :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to this
> list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few samples.

Seems like a really good idea to me!

Andrew.

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to
>> this list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few
>> samples.
>

> Good idea, thanks!
>
> If you could add a prefix like [WIKI-UPDATE] or something to the subject
> line for filtering it would be ideal.

+1 Similar to Gump and CVS messages

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to this
> list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few samples.

Good idea, thanks!

If you could add a prefix like [WIKI-UPDATE] or something to the subject
line for filtering it would be ideal.

-Bertrand

Re: Wiki RSS change notifications

Posted by Simon Price <Si...@bristol.ac.uk>.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Steven Noels wrote:

> Hello,
>
> would anyone object against little notification mails being send to this
> list when pages in the Wiki get updated? I've attached a few samples.
>
> Regards,
>
> </Steven>

Steven - I think this would be a really good idea. Thanks

Simon

Simon Price
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
University of Bristol
8-10 Berkeley Square
Bristol BS8 1HH
United Kingdom