Posted to c-user@axis.apache.org by "Belden, Alvin (MED US)" <al...@siemens.com> on 2006/02/15 15:51:28 UTC

Calling calculator sample from VB in Visual Studio 2005 not working

Details
Axis: 1.5 built from source
Platform: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5) Kernel
2.4.21-32.EL on an i686
Compiler: gcc 3.2.3 20030502
Web server: Apache 2052

I configured apache as directed in the documentation and have been able
to run samples on the Linux server from the command line. From Visual
Studio, I am able to create a web reference by entering the url of the
wsdl file for the calculator sample. I placed this wsdl file in the
document_root directory. Visual Studio correctly discovers the web
service api and allows me to create a web reference that I can then use
in the VB code. When I try to make a call to the web service, however,
the call fails with the error code 405. I used ethereal to trace traffic
from the client machine to the web server and observed that no message
was sent. I am a complete XML and wsdl novice. I looked at the wsdl and
noticed numerous instances of the string 'localhost'. I replaced these
with the host name of the Linux server. This changed the error but still
there was no traffic to the Linux server. I previously had installed the
Axis Java toolkit (1.3) and was able to create the web service reference
and successfully make the call to the GetQuote service. I'm not sure
what I need to do here. Do I need to modify the wsdl for the calculator
sample to get it to work?

In the end, of course, I need to create a web service to accomplish the
goals of my current project. We will use the created web service to
replace an existing interprocess communication library that is not
thread-safe. I understand that the code generation tool, WSDL2Ws, will
generate C++ stubs from wsdl, so it seems that my initial task will be
to create the proper wsdl for the service I am creating. Thus, I need to
learn enough XML and wsdl to accomplish this task. Is this correct?

otherwise confidential information.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing,
be unlawful.  If you received this message in error, or have reason to believe
notify the sender by e-mail with a copy to Central.SecurityOffice@shs.siemens.com

Thank you