Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by kempo bob <bs...@practical-technology.net> on 2007/06/04 22:05:44 UTC

Jasper crashes with nullpointerexception

Very often, when precompiling JSP's that have custom tags in them with
jasper2, the compiler will just crash with a nullpointerexception. I end up
spending a lot of time trying to figure out what I've done wrong, because
the compiler doesn't give any useful information. The mistakes are usually
the kind of small, stupid mistakes that you'd expect a compiler to find,
like misspelled names, etc., but the exception doesn't refer to anything in
my code - it refers to something deep down in the stack of the compiler.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reasonable way to find out what I've
done wrong? Is there another
compiler I can use that might provide better information?

I'm running TC 5.5.23, using the ant jasper2 task to compile. I have tags
that have embedded tags, some JSTL, some EL, some scriptlets.