Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rudy <ru...@comcast.net> on 2016/02/07 18:08:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Newbie

I know nothing of Apache, but, I wish to setup an older iSeries as a web
server using Apache.  My iSeries is a 520 running V7R1 and I connect to it
using a Windows 10 PC.  I am a long time RPG programmer but have no
experience with HTTP or web hosting.  I am looking for step by step
instructions (for dummies) to install and setup the most appropriate version
of Apache that fits my needs.  This will be a learning experience for me so
I will not need to support high traffic nor are a lot of bells and whistles
required.

My initial questions:
Where should I start?
Is there a specific set of step by step install and setup instructions
available for my scenario?
What version of Apache might be appropriate for me?

Thanks,
Rudy Schutter
rudy386@comcast.net
954.494.3148

RE: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Rudy <ru...@comcast.net>.
Thank you Eric, I was under the impression there might be a new, unique, standalone version of Apache for the IBM iSeries.

Thanks,
Rudy Schutter

> I know nothing of Apache, but, I wish to setup an older iSeries as a
> web server using Apache.  My iSeries is a 520 running V7R1 and I
> connect to it using a Windows 10 PC.  I am a long time RPG programmer
> but have no experience with HTTP or web hosting.  I am looking for
> step by step instructions (for dummies) to install and setup the most
> appropriate version of Apache that fits my needs.  This will be a
> learning experience for me so I will not need to support high traffic
> nor are a lot of bells and whistles required.
>
> My initial questions:
> Where should I start?
> Is there a specific set of step by step install and setup instructions
> available for my scenario?
> What version of Apache might be appropriate for me?

iSeries comes with a server based on Apache HTTP Server (IBM HTTP Server)
and no other distribution is likely to work there.   You want to consult
IBM documentation for initial configuration.

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

RE: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Rudy <ru...@comcast.net>.
Thank you Yehuda, I thought I had read somewhere that there might be a new, unique, standalone version of Apache for the IBM iSeries.

Thanks,

Rudy Schutter

rudy386@comcast.net

954.494.3148

RE: [users@httpd] Newbie

Posted by Rudy <ru...@comcast.net>.
Thanks Pete, looks like a good forum for me to search through.

Thanks,

Rudy Schutter

rudy386@comcast.net

954.494.3148

[...]