Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/10 18:34:24 UTC

FYI... Abdera performance optimizations

FYI... a few weeks ago, Rob Yates added a performance enhancement to the
Abdera code that leads to a significant boost.  He discusses the
enhancement on his personal weblog @ http://robubu.com/?p=11

To give you an idea, he compared the performance of Rome and Abdera
parsing his own Atom feed and pulling out the titles and links of each
entry.
              Allocated bytes/CPU instructions
ROME:         2.64 MB/223 mil.
Abdera:       286 KB/30 mil.
Abdera+turbo: 66 KB/25 mil.

There may be some additional enhancements we can tease out of the
implementation.  For example, we could specify a ParserOptions flag to
ignore all extension elements during the parse; or, we could further
tune the custom Axiom builder we're using to reduce the number of
cycles.  I have not yet gone through and fine-tuned everything in there
yet and I'm sure there are a bunch of little things we can tweak.

- James

Re: FYI... Abdera performance optimizations

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/10/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI... a few weeks ago, Rob Yates added a performance enhancement to the
> Abdera code that leads to a significant boost.  He discusses the
> enhancement on his personal weblog @ http://robubu.com/?p=11
>
> To give you an idea, he compared the performance of Rome and Abdera
> parsing his own Atom feed and pulling out the titles and links of each
> entry.
>               Allocated bytes/CPU instructions
> ROME:         2.64 MB/223 mil.
> Abdera:       286 KB/30 mil.
> Abdera+turbo: 66 KB/25 mil.

This seems very cool, something we should have an example of in the tree...

So I threw one together last night based on Rob's blog post.  I've
attached it, perhaps we can stick a version of it in examples once the
code is imported.

-garrett